Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• The Fullback Has to be a Team Player

By: LONNY DEMAREE

This years fullback, D.J. Warren, is a second year player striving to be the next John Conner, a former Wildcat starting at fullback for the New York Jets. Warren said he is now hovering arond 242-pounds as opposed to 225-pounds last season as a true freshman. Warren started every game for the UK offense.

In his development, the rub comes in the possibility of more up tempo offense being run, which eliminates his position. "I don't know what the plans are but I just want to ready when they call my number," Warren said. "I'm a team player. The thing I been working on with coach (Steve) Pardue is getting my base wide on my blocks and punching my hands forward.

Joker Phillips talked about his fullback Warren and the position. He said they had walkon John Conner and Moncell Allen who they moved from tailback to fullback and had good success. "Last year we decided to use our last scholarship on a fullback and not depend on a walkon," Phillips said. "We've been spoiled at that position. D. J. is a lot better this year. We know how the important the fullback position is and has been for us. Fullback position is a position that you have to be a hammer-head. He has a to be a guy that can move the pile, get the short tough yardage, can play special team and catch the ball out of the backfield." The coach said he is the ultimate team player. "You never hear from him. That's a position that's all about the team. It's about where he came from. Alcoa breeds them like that. Every player we've gotten out of there. They care more about the team than themself."

Warren said he amount plays is dictated by the team they play and the types of formation they cooperate into the gameplan. Thirty percent of the plays is about normal.
    Comments 2 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      John Conner's efforts won a lot of games for UK. I hope Warren can step in and help with some wins also.
      BudCat_upthecreek -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      John Conner's efforts won a lot of games for UK. I hope Warren can step in and help with some wins also.
      Me too Dan. I thought John Conner could have helped us if he had been utilized with FB in his hands more, course that's just my opinion. I believe he avg'd about 5 yds per carry & thought he might have gotten some first downs in short yardage situations instead of giving the ball to a 165 lb back......hand it to a 240 lb back that has a chance to move a guy a yard backwards, JMHO though.
  • KSR Twitter Feed