Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Last game at Kentucky for Cauley-Stein a disappointing one

By: LARRY VAUGHT

INDIANAPOLIS — A year ago Willie Cauley-Stein felt he wasn’t ready for the NBA and wanted to come back to Kentucky not only to improve his draft stock but also to win a national title.

The 7-foot junior center helped Kentucky open the season 38-0, became a consensus All-American despite averaging only 9.1 points and 6.5 rebounds per game in UK’s balanced system and was a finalist for several prestigious national awards.

However, UK didn’t win the title as it was upset 71-64 by Wisconsin here Saturday.

After the game, though, Cauley-Stein said there was no suspense about his future this year.

“I know what I’m doing. It’s just ... the younger guys have gotta know what they’re doing,” said Cauley-Stein after scoring just two points, grabbing five rebounds and blocking two shots against Wisconsin.

Cauley-Stein said it was “probably” his last game at UK.

“It’s time to take another step. I mean, obviously I’m not a hundred percent on it, but I’m pretty sure I know what I want to do. I have to talk to a couple more people, but that probably was my last game here,” Cauley-Stein said.

He admitted the loss was hard considering the way he played.

“I think it’s more eating at me that I didn’t really contribute on anything. Scored the first bucket, the first couple of buckets on a lob, and then played 33 minutes and had two points and five rebounds. I mean, that’s going to probably eat at me for the rest of my life, just to know that I have so much more that I could have given and changed the outcome of the game,” Cauley-Stein said. “But I just didn’t do it and that’s probably going to kill me on the inside.”

Assistant coach John Robic said he felt the junior’s pain.

“I’m just glad he had the opportunity to perform on this stage. He earned it. His growth over three years has been tremendous,” Robic said. “Couldn’t be more proud of Willie. Came so far. Who would have thought — got here as a freshman and then three years later he’s a first-team All-American. Couldn’t be more proud of him.”

Sophomore guard Andrew Harrison, who had 13 points and four assists against Wisconsin, said he had no input on Cauley-Stein’s intentions.

“I mean, that’s him. That has nothing to do with me. But that’s my brother. I love him. I’ll support him whatever he does,” Harrison, who many also think will head to the NBA, said.

Cauley-Stein said he’ll have a lot to remember about this season despite Saturday night’s loss.

“ Just being around a bunch of unbelievable guys and the way we all came together like brothers,” Cauley-Stein said. “We’ll never be on the same team like this again. That’s going to set in. We got a month of school left with each other, and that’s it. So, I mean, that’s what you’ll remember.”
  • KSR Twitter Feed