Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Lyles returns home to Final Four

By: LARRY VAUGHT

INDIANAPOLIS — Even his father and high school coach both know the script that has played out for Kentucky freshman Trey Lyles seems too good to be true.

It was just over a year ago that Lyles led Indianapolis Arsenal Tech to its first state high school championship and was named Mr. Basketball as well as a McDonald’s All-American. Now he’s part of an unbeaten team at UK and is back in Indianapolis to play in the Final Four and be part of an undefeated national championship team.

“This is what movies are made of,” said Arsenal Tech coach Jason Delaney. “He has not had a meaningful loss since his junior year when his knee was hurt and could he could not play in the sectional championship and had tears rolling down his face after we lost. Since then he has been determined not to lose when it counts. His senior year we only lost two games, he has not lost a game since Feb. 1 of 2014. To be able to come home where he won a state championship and now have a chance to win a national championship in the same city is amazing.”

His father, Tom, admits it was a “bit too much to throw out there” that UK would be unbeaten this season, but nothing else about his son’s career has surprised him that much.

“The state championship, the McDonald’s All-American honor, Jordan Brand invited, that was not a surprise. Coming off the late summer without being able to participate with the rest of the guys because of his injury and then to be as impactful as he was the first two games, that was special,” Tom Lyles said. “To get to this point here, only being undefeated is what surprises me. As far as Trey and his drive and his will to win, I really am not surprised.

“I have always told him and he always done a great job keeping things at his comfort pace. I used to always tell him when we worked out to get a favorite song of yours in your head and that’s the beat you play to. That way you never let the game or opponent speed you up because you already have that beat imbedded in you and that is what you play to. Keep that in your head and you will be fine. I have told him that since fourth and fifth grade, and he’s done it.”

Lyles averages 8.7 points and 5.3 rebounds per game. He’s a 48.9 percent shooter from the field, but only 13.8 percent (four of 29) from 3-point range. At the foul line, he hits 72.7 percent.

Coach John Calipari has called him UK’s “X-factor” in tournament play, and Delaney understands why.

“I watched him in AAU and he was constantly going against some of the best players,” Delaney said. “Most teams play freshmen-sophomores, and he grew up playing against those players and doing well. When he played for Team Canada, he played against pros when he went to Bosnia to play. He’s always played against the best.

“You watch him, and I am biased, but he is the one guy that can do everything. He passes well. He can score if needed. He rebounds. He can guard the perimeter or a post player. And he is so smart. That is a big key for Trey. He never tries to do too much or get away from what he is.”

The Wildcats got to Indianapolis Wednesday but Tom Lyles didn’t expect to see much of his son — and understands why.

“Coach (John Calipari) does a good job keeping them away from everybody and keeping them together,” Lyles said. “It’s difficult and makes it hard on us because we want to see him but I understand why Coach can’t let it happen. He has to make sure their minds are not cluttered by family, friends saying things or having agents/runners getting in their ears and making them lose focus on what is really important and staying locked in on winning this thing. Sometimes it is difficult for families to comprehend, but it is for the best.”

Kentucky played in Indianapolis No. 18 against then No. 5 Kansas and won 72-40 in one of its most impressive games of the season. However, Lyles was just 1-for-5 from the field and had four points and four rebounds in 19 minutes. Only twice during the season did he score fewer points.

Calipari admitted Thursday that he did worry about Lyles coming back to his hometown to play and pressing.
    "I even forgot it until I got on the bus last night. I went, 'Oh, my gosh, we're coming back to Indiana, back to Indianapolis.' He laughs about it. But it's a hard deal. The whole environment is hard for everybody. So he'll be fine," Calipari said.
    Still, this is a special weekend for the Lyles family.

Trey’s sister had her 23rd birthday Thursday. Friday is Tom Lyles’ wedding anniversary and UK’s open practice in Indianapolis. Saturday is the Final Four game with Wisconsin and Monday could be UK’s chance for an unbeaten national championship season.

“I try to keep everybody at bay. I always have and always will,” Tom Lyles said. “I know everybody wants to be in the house (arena) for the game, but there is only so much we can do. There are only so many tickets these guys are allowed. Some people are going to be upset (that they don’t get tickets). They will be offended, but that’s the way it is. I really haven’t been bombarded by ticket requests and I keep all that away from Trey. But we only get six tickets.

“The open practice should have a lot of fans and friends there. They will show out pretty good I think.”

So does Delaney.

“We take a lot of pride in what he has done. He was one of our own for four years. His jersey is retired, his McDonald’s All-American and Indiana all-star jersies are in our gym. Everywhere around our gym tracks of him, and he’s only a year removed from being here,” Delaney said. “These kids grew up watching Trey and following him. You see a lot more Kentucky sweatshirts around there than in years past. He is succeeding, so we are living through him.

“We are on spring break, but a lot of will be at practice. It will be hard to get close because Big Blue Nation comes in force. But we will be there to try and see Trey. I won’t be able to go and don’t know if I will get to the game. I have kind of left him alone after last Saturday (after UK beat Notre Dame). Coach Cal will get him ready. I have sent words of encouragement and little reminders about things we worked on for years just to pump him up. But he will be fine.”

Tom Lyles says the year has been even when it was “up and down for him just like for the guys” on the team.

“It’s fun to watch and be part of this,” Tom Lyles said. “I am really happy not just for Trey, but all the guys. You see the amount of work they and know how hard this is.

“I have seen those guys he came in with. Not so much on the (AAU) circuit, but during the McDonalds and Jordan games and back when we played in Kentucky (during Trey’s senior season when freshmen Devin Booker and Tyler Ulis were at the same events in Marshall County and McCracken County). It is amazing to see the growth in them. It’s like a flower developing and blooming right in front of your eyes.

“It has been fun to see the bond these guys have come to have from day one until this point. They really care for each other and like each other. It’s not a front. It’s no one making them do it. They truly like and care for each other.”

Tom Lyles said he recently looked at pictures of him and James Ulis, Tyler’s father, when they first met at the McCracken County Mustang Madness. He says parents develop a bond as well.

“Again, this whole year has been heartwarming,” Tom Lyles said. “Forget what is at stake monetarily for those fortunate enough to make money doing this. It’s just the relationships that you build and the bonds you created. Those are life-changing moments for families. This game brought families together that otherwise never would have met and look at the passion each family has and the passion they have for everybody.”

Trey Lyles says the Cats have to channel that passion against Wisconsin Saturday to extend their season.

“We just gotta come out with a lot of energy because we know they’re going to come after us like every other team this year has and we just gotta be prepared for it,” Lyles said. “Everybody has been there for one another all year. Having a brotherhood on and off the court. We know if one guy’s not playing well somebody else is going to step up. That’s just the thing of —l ike Coach said — the strength is in the pack.

“If you make a mistake or anything like that, you know Coach is going to have somebody else and somebody else is going to be ready. You just gotta go out there and play with confidence and stuff like that. If it’s not your night, it’s not your night. I gotta go out there and play with a lot of energy, defend smaller and bigger guys and score when I have the opportunities.”

His father thinks passing the Notre Dame test is just what the team needed to win the national title.

“I personally think they faced their toughest matchup last weekend,” Tom Lyles said. “Unless Wisconsin comes out and takes some of the formula that Notre Dame used, which reminded me a lot of what we did in high school with the screens, and does it even better, then I just think these guys are so focused on finishing the job and ending this season the way they have wanted to from day one.”
  • KSR Twitter Feed