Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Calipari to learn of Hall of Fame decision Monday

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Kentucky coach John Calipari finds out Monday — the same day UK could be playing for the national championship — if he makes the Basketball Hall of Fame.

He has UK in the Final Four for the fourth time in five years, including the 2012 national championship season, and also took UMass and Memphis to the Final Four. He has a 22-3 NCAA tourney record at UK going into Satuday night’s game in Indianapolis with Wisconsin.

Michigan State coach Tom Izzo says there’s no doubt Calipari has Hall of Fame credentials.

“If you look at it, when you can win at Massachusetts, then go and win at Memphis, then the job he's done at Kentucky is unbelievable. He doesn't get enough credit for his coaching,” said Izzo Monday on the Final Four coaches teleconference. “Having great players, I mean, there's days that it's easier. I think what people don't realize is there's days when it's more difficult juggling egos, juggling the NBA stuff, juggling the expectations at a school like Kentucky.

“So for all the pluses of knowing that maybe you got better talent than most teams, you also got other issues. I don't know many guys that could have juggled that at Kentucky like he has. But it's not just when he was there, because he did it at Memphis, he did it at Massachusetts, he's done it at different levels. I do think he's very deserving of being in there.”

So does Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski, who is in the  Hall of Fame.

“That's why he's up for it. People aren't up for it unless people believe that he belongs. I think whether it happens this year, it will happen. Just like with (Wisconsin coach) Bo Ryan, they belong,” the Duke coach said.

“Look, they're all really the best of the best. It's really an honor for me to be in a Final Four with those three programs and those three coaches because they're all really good guys and they've all understood the commitment to excellence that a program needs to make.”

Calipari tried to deflect a question about his potential Hall of Fame selection.

“When you talk about the coaches here, when you talk about Bo Ryan, you're talking about one of those guys that walked through the ranks and has done it anywhere he's been, was a great assistant before he was a great head coach. He's just a good guy,” Calipari said Monday.

“Tommy Izzo and I go so far back. We're in touch throughout this tournament. He knows what I feel about him. You talk about one of the top two or three coaches, he's it. He's done it every year with every kind of different team. He's done it when he's lost guys, when he's had great players, when he's had great teams.

“Then you talk about Mike Krzyzewski, c'mon. (Former UCLA coach John) Wooden, Krzyzewski, and that's about it. My respect for Mike Krzyzewski goes beyond just watching him and what he's done in thousands of games, all that. My respect for him goes to this level. What he did for Anthony Davis, what he did for Derrick Rose, what he just did for DeMarcus Cousins on USA Basketball. All of them spent that time with him and their careers changed, the whole direction.

“My hope is that half the team becomes my guys because I see what he's done for my guys. If you know me well enough, you know that's moving me. The other stuff is great, and I respect him. That right there, that moves me.”
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post