Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Andrew Harrison drives home the point at Kentucky

By LARRY VAUGHT

There was a time that former Auburn coach Sonny Smith thought Andrew Harrison was not near the player his brother, Aaron, is. Now Smith, an analyst for the Auburn Radio Network, has a different opinion.

“The other kid (Aaron) got all the publicity, but I have been really impressed with Andrew. Against us, everything changed the minute he took over. He can penetrate, score and shoot the 3. Used to he would just penetrate all the time. He’s a much more complete player now,” said Smith.

Andrew Harrison has been as “good as anyone in the country” at times in Kentucky coach John Calipari’s opinion as UK heads to the Final Four for a matchup with Wisconsin Saturday in Indianapolis. He’s averaging 9.2 points and 2.2 rebounds per game. He has 135 steals against only 63 turnovers. He’s hitting only 37 percent from the field, but he is making 37 percent of his 3-point shots and 79 percent of his free throws — and has taken a team-high 157 foul shots.

Kentucky freshman Trey Lyles had played with Andrew Harrison at a summer camp in 2011 and thought his personality was far different from what it has turned out to be.

“I thought he was really quiet and too himself and him and his brother were always together, but since I have been here, he is a fun guy to hang out with. He cracks a lot of jokes, is a competitive guy and we are good friends,” Lyles said. “Off the court we are totally different guys that just like to have fun and that is certainly how he is.

“But on the court he is the point guard and leads the team. Coach put him in charge of all of us and we make sure we listen when he says stuff and do what he says and wants.”

Calipari made sure to point that out after UK beat Notre Dame Saturday in Cleveland in the Elite Eight. With the game tied 66-66, he put the ball in Harrison’s hands for the final play and he delivered by drawing a foul that led to his two game-winning free throws. He followed that with a hustle play on defense that helped make sure Notre Dame didn’t get a clean look at a shot to tie or win the game. Next came him running to midcourt to chest bump teammate Karl-Anthony Towns.

Often last year Andrew Harrison’s body language was the subject of criticism — something no one could complain about after that postgame celebration Saturday. At other times he was faulted for not making right decisions or not being a defensive stopper. Then his play improved late in the year and he helped get Kentucky to the national title game.

“Whatever Coach wants me to do, I do,” Harrison said. “I have got more comfortable playing different positions because we know we all have to play our best to win. I worked out at times this year with my dad. I have worked out a lot with (assistant coaches) Kenny Payne and John Robic.”

There was a time at midseason when some suggested that perhaps freshman Tyler Ulis was better suited to run the team. ESPN analyst Jay Bilas bristled at that suggestion.

“I think he’s played really well. I think Andrew’s done a really good job. He’s attacking more now. Coaches will say he’s playing downhill. The downhill thing has always made me laugh because the court is not tilted,” Bilas said. “He’s getting to the lane more. That’s where he thrives. I think he’s really good in transition. He’s really good getting into the lane. That’s where he can get to the line and make plays. It also opens up opportunities for him to get perimeter shots because of the threat of him getting into the lane.

“The more he pushes it, the more he gets up the floor, plays ahead of the defense, the better player he is. His assists are up, his turnovers are down. I think he’s defended much better. He’s gotten to the defensive glass a little bit more.

“I think Andrew’s done a great job. He and Tyler Ulis form a really good combo. They’ve been able to play together in certain situations. Then Tyler has been able to spell him at times. As good as I think Tyler Ulis is, there would be no question in my mind that Andrew would be my starter at point. He’s a better college player right now than Tyler Ulis is.”

Ulis quickly admits he’s learned a lot from Andrew Harrison and doesn’t listen to criticism of his teammate.

“We really don’t pay attention to what people say about him. We as a team know what he has to do as a point guard,” Ulis said. “When he pushes the ball he is a great player and you see what he can do. I don’t think anyone really pays attention to what anyone else says about him. We try to stay within ourselves. I think when I am on the floor it just helps us get in the lane and facilitate more. With two point guards on the floor, that is easier to make happen and we have learned to play well together.”

Florida guard Kasey Hill played against Harrison in AAU and all-star settings as well as in college.

“Andrew Harrison is a big strong guard who runs their team and that is what they need to be successful. I think he is very important. As he goes, the team goes. If he runs the team, the team is doing well,” Hill said. “I have played against him since like second grade to now. I think he deserves lot more credit, but sure he doesn’t listen to that criticism I see he gets and that is all that matters.

“He is just a real competitive guy. He will always be ready to play, just like his brother. They love basketball and playing. They are both cool guys.”

He’s also hard to stop.

“He is a big, strong guard and is tough to guard because of that. You think you stop him, then he just powers by you,” Florida freshman Chris Chiozza said.

Being the starting point guard on a team that's supposed to win every game isn't an easy thing to handle, especially at Kentucky. But Harrison has been more at ease this year.

“Criticism doesn’t bother me any more. I know things are pretty much on me and that doesn’t affect me now and I am fine with myself. I am fine with things,” he said. “You still hear it. I just don’t worry about what people say about me any more. I am good. As a team, I think we are talented enough and focused enough to do whatever it takes to win, and that’s what we do.”

He’s also come to understand what Calipari means — or doesn’t mean.

“Exact same person he was last year. In terms of being on us, he is the same exact person. I guess when you are winning he gives you a little more leeway in terms of days off, but in games he is as aggressive as he has always been,” Harrison said. “You are going to have a bad game. You can’t listen to what people say about you. I have heard it all and I am good with it. I can take it. It is fine. Just have to keep playing.”

Like he did Saturday against Notre Dame when rather than pout or fret about a late turnover that cost UK a chance to take the lead, he played defense and then made the drive that led to the winning free throws.

“I’m just blessed that I have the ability to stay focused at the end of the game,” Harrison said. “It’s usually Aaron making the shots and stuff like that. I’m just glad I could make the free throws. I was praying. I don’t know. I’m just happy we won. I can’t even tell you how I was feeling or what I was — I don’t even really remember.”

But he kept his focus because he has learned to control his emotions better.

“I don’t think nothing bothers me any more. People can say whatever they want about me and I still have confidence in myself. I am all about what I am capable of doing,” he said.

No one values that more than Calipari.

“The reason our team is doing what they're doing is because Andrew, his spirit is driving us. His ability to get in the lane, to make baskets, make key shots, to make key free throws – now, we gotta talk more on defense. We gotta be more of a playmaker. But he’s been so good,” Calipari said.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post