Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Team Togetherness Could be the Joker

By: LONNY DEMAREE

Is there any way a football team that's together couldnt be better? Every year the common montra is we are bigger, stronger, faster, and more together. There's no doubting that but talent trumps it all and this years group has markedly more talent. There's that 'yeahbut' this year is different about this group of youngsters. The joker, no pun intended, with this is the signs of such is much more prevelent.

On Wednesday in Louisville when Joker Phillips spoke at the UK Alumn banquet, he alluded to somthing he called 'stuff'. That's day-to-day things in your life that can and sometimes does cause problems. "I don't care what we say, everybody has stuff," the coach said. "I've got stuff and I had to tell my stuff to get them to open and tell me their stuff." He said this helped to draw the team closer. Consequently this factor could be the joker, which we all know is the trump card (wild card) in the deck.

We asked D. J. Warren how he truly felt about this team? "I feel great about this team," the sophomore Alcoa, Tennessee product said. "I really think we are coming together. We're forming a bunch of bonds and the most important thing is we are getting to know each other on a personal level. I think that's something that's really important. If you have a team you should know what they've been through in the past and how they've gotten up to this point. I feel getting to know my teammates and I have a whole lot more respect for those guy and I'm just honored to be around them."

On Thursday we made Warren aware of the reference to 'stuff' and asked him is that's what he is referring to. "Exactly, everybodies got stuff. Not everybody had a great neighborhood, a great childhood, and some people had it rough. It took them so much to get where they are right now and it's a blessing for all the things they went through when they were young and to be the type of people they are right now. I think knowing and seeing that is important and there a lot of guys on this team like that."
    Comments 2 Comments
      suncat05 -
      I am just hoping that this is the Kentucky football team that finally has the "the right stuff".
      News out of fall camp this year is much different than what we've been hearing the last two years. It's about time for us to surprise somebody........ like the entire SEC!
      Badinage -
      Good stuff. Being close makes for a better experience and bond. Makes guys want to fight for each other. It does not, however, guarantee a good football team. But, I like what I hear.
  • KSR Twitter Feed