Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Lee - Don't worry, be happy

By: LARRY VAUGHT

LOUISVILLE — It’s likely that Kentucky sophomore Marcus Lee knows nothing about the song, “Don’t Worry, Be Happy” that Bobby McFerrin released in 1988 that reached number on the Billboard Hot 100 chart — the same spot the Kentucky basketball team has had in the Associated Press rankings all year.

Lee plays sparingly for the unbeaten Wildcats. Going into Saturday’s game with Cincinnati in the NCAA Tournament, he was averaging 2.7 points, 2.9 rebounds and 11.5 minutes per game this year. He had 27 blocks — 13 more than last year. He had made 44 of 69 shots, a 63.8 percent mark, after going 26 of 42 last year for 61.9 percent.

He was a McDonald’s All-American in California who averaged 17.7 points, 19.5 rebounds and 6.7 blocks per game his senior season and was ranked as one of the nation’s top 20 recruits. Yet playing so little at UK has not soured him on life or Kentucky basketball.

“I am always happy no matter what. You can always be frustrated with something you do, but nothing is going to take my happiness,” said Lee Friday. “It is just something that my mom and family taught me. People can take away everything from you, but they can never take away your happiness.

“I will almost always have a smile on my face unless I am playing a game where I have to be serious. But I just love life and being happy.”

He would love to have another spotlight moment like he had in last year’s NCAA Tournament. He earned Midwest Region All-Tournament team accolades after scoring 10 points, grabbing eight rebounds and blocking two shots in a Sweet 16 win over Michigan to offset the absence of injured Willie Cauley-Stein. He came back with four points on two dunks in UK's 74-73 win over Wisconsin in the Final Four

“I just focus on getting better, fixing little things. I do that every day so if I am needed again in a big role, I am ready,” Lee said.

His teammates appreciate the sacrifices he makes playing behind Cauley-Stein, Karl-Anthony Towns and Dakari Johnson. He’s an exceptional athlete and leaper, but not as big or strong as those players and sometimes draws coach John Calipari’s wrath for defensive or rebounding lapses.

“One of the best human beings I’ve met. As a person, he’s just so caring and so lovable,” Towns said. “You can see why he’s so special to this team. He brings a lot of energy and he brings a lot of enthusiasm, and I think he brings not only that to the court, but to the people in the community.”

Calipari said Friday that Lee needs to be a more consistent player, a problem other players also have.

“We expect them to be so confident, but they're not. A lot of times, one rain drop on the shoulder can change their whole outlook of what the weather's like. And it was one off a leaf on a tree that had nothing to do with anything, ‘Oh, my God, it's raining’. These kids are 18 and 19-year-olds,” Calipari said.

“So when he's confident, when he's clapping on the court, when he's getting it, he is unbelievable. He just doesn't do it all the time. It's hard to be that. It's hard to be at your best every night out. But the greatest thing with this team, no one has the weight of the world on their shoulders. If you're not playing well, I just won't play you. I'll play these other guys. We have nine. We'll play these five. You're all right. Just be ready next game.

“That's how we've been able to do it, and that's what I keep telling them. You don't have anything on you. Just go play. Go do what you do. Go have a ball. Go show people what you are.”

Lee likes nothing more than to be on the receiving end of a lob that he can finish for a dunk.

“When you see the ball in the air your eyes kinda just open up and you kinda realize that you’re able to jump that high and get the ball. So when you’re in the air and you finally connect with the ball it’s a great feeling,” he said. “It’s either catch the ball or something bad is gonna happen. In a tough game that’s a do-or-die moment and it either gets your team up or brings your team down.”

Lee said the team has not had many down moments on or off the court.

“No matter where we are or what we are doing, we are always having fun. That is what made us click so well and do so well early. We were always together with each other, and it paid off,” Lee said.

“Coach is always talking about embracing each other. Kind of getting lost in the team, and that is something we have been able to do, just get lost in each other. He is always looking to broaden our horizons, not just in basketball but also in life. He is always coming up with new things to make things a little better for us.”
  • KSR Twitter Feed