Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Booker - team goals the same, egos fit perfectly

By LARRY VAUGHT

LEXINGTON — Devin Booker thought Kentucky would have a good team when he signed with the Wildcats. By the time the freshman guard left the Bahamas after UK’s six-game exhibition trip in August, he knew it could be a special year.

“I feel like that’s where we clicked. The freshmen, we were just coming in and they just made it to the national championship, so we just tried to learn everything from them and that’s what we did. We came in and they helped us out, all the older guys. I guess that’s why we’re in the situation we’re in right now,” Booker said.

That situation has UK 34-0 going into the start of NCAA Tournament play Thursday night in Louisville. Kentucky is the first team since Duke in 1991-92 to hold the No. 1 spot in the Associated Press poll for the entire season and is the No. 1 overall seed in the NCAA. The Wildcats were a unanimous No. 1 for the last seven AP polls and 11 weeks overall.

Booker leads UK in 3-point shots made with 54 and is hitting 42.9 percent from long range. At the SEC Tournament, he was just 6-for-15 from the field and averaged 6.3 points per game — well below his 10.3 average for the season.

"I think you'll see Devin in the (NCAA) tournament get back to the way he was playing, losing himself in the game," Calipari said on the SEC coaches teleconference Monday. "I think there are times he's thinking a little too much because he was playing so well. The expectation was every shot was going in."

Booker agrees.

“I have the same confidence that I’m gonna make those shots. I’m not going to change anything. Keep doing what I’m doing,” Booker said. “As long as we’re winning I’m happy. Obviously I’m frustrated with myself because I’m not making shots and that’s gonna help the team, but I’m gonna keep doing what I’m doing.

“We have a great team around me, so if I’m not making shots that I usually make I’ll feed somebody else. That’s the beauty of this team. I’m totally OK with that as long as we’re getting wins.”

Booker says he knows now is the time to be re-energized.

“We know it’s win or go home now. We know we’re going to get every team’s best and we’re looking forward to that. It’s a great team, great chemistry and we’re just trying to make even more history,” Booker said. “I’m trying to make the most of it. Me, personally, I am ‘cause I know I’m never going to get to be part of a team like this again. Like I said, we’re in the moment right now. We’re all enjoying it and we’re taking it one game at a time.”

Booker, who is being projected as a first-round NBA draft pick if he opts to put his name into the draft, says the players have enjoyed showing that sharing minutes among so many talented players can work.

“Everyone said that our egos (were) gonna be against each other. I feel like, our egos, we’re fit together perfectly. That’s why we’re having the success that we are,” Booker said after the SEC title game win. “We all cheer for each other. If someone’s having a bad game tell them ‘keep playing,’ and I think that’s why our success has been where it’s at this year.

“We all have the same goal and that’s to make the final run. That’s what we’ve been focusing on this whole year. All this (SEC) tournament and the regular season, that’s good for us but we know that’s in the past and we’re focused on bigger things right now. I feel like postseason we’re coming together the most. We know we all need each other to accomplish things we’re trying to do.”

Booker knows UK could face close games in NCAA play where the team has to keep its focus and intensity to continue winning.

“Teams are playing for their last win or to go home, so we’re going to get the best out of everybody and that’s what we want. We wouldn’t want it any other way. We’re kind of excited for it,” Booker said.
  • KSR Twitter Feed