Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Cats get "good win" over Gators

By: LARRY VAUGHT

NASHVILLE — Maybe it wasn’t the prettiest win Kentucky has had this season, but coach John Calipari still thought it was a “good win” over Florida in the Southeastern Conference Tournament quarterfinals Friday.

Kentucky pulled away in the final 10 minutes to win 64-49 over the Gators for the third time this season even though Florida dominated the rebounding early and shot well over 50 percent the game’s first 10 minutes.

“Wasn't happy with how we started the game, but it was a good win. And the kids fought and guys played, did the stuff they had to do. Didn't shoot it well, still won,” said Calipari.

Kentucky shots just 37.5 percent (21 of 56) from the field and Willie Cauley-Stein (2-for-9), Trey Lyles (1-for-8) and Devin Booker (2-for-6) were a combined 5-for-23 from the field. However, Kentucky got 15 points off 12 Florida turnovers and went 19-for-23 at the foul line compared to Florida’s 3-for-5 to get the win.

“I think we just made a few defensive adjustments and we just found a way to win, really,” Aaron Harrison, who led UK with 13 points, said.

Calipari said his “bigs were not doing what we were trying to do” when Florida opened the game by making seven of its first 11 shots, all inside the paint.

“But the reality of it is, we didn't play with as much energy as Florida played with to start the game. And they came in and I told them at halftime, If that's what we have in store, like that's how we're going to do this, we're going to have some problems,” Calipari said after his team went to 32-0.

“I thought in the later part of the game, we found that combination of Andrew (Harrison), Aaron, Tyler (Ulis), Trey, and Karl (-Anthony Towns) or Dakari (Johnson), that's what we did. And see that's the advantage we have. We'll juggle it around until we figure out who is playing well and then we'll ride with those guys. We want to platoon. We want to all nine players to play. But if you get in there and you're shaky at all or you're breaking down, it's like, okay, going to go with these guys.”

Towns carried Kentucky early on the boards and finished with 13 points, 12 rebounds and one block. Andrew Harrison had nine points, three rebounds and two assists. Ulis gave a needed spark of energy — like he has most of the season — with seven points, four assists and three steals.

“That’s my job,” Ulis said. “I just try to do what we need and whatever that is, I do it.”

Florida was still within striking range at 55-47 with 6 minutes, 30 seconds to play before the Cats went on a 9-0 run that broke the game open as the Gators went about five minutes without a score against UK.

“When you're playing against guys who are that athletic, that long, have that kind of strength, if you don't stay disciplined and stick to the game plan, it's kind of tough,” Florida center Jon Horford, who had 15 points, said. “They really struggled scoring against when we walled up. They really, really struggled scoring against that, but then kept offensive rebounding on the weak side and finishing it.

“There's great opportunity if you can attack the basket. But obviously it's tough sometimes to score over guys with such great length. At times we did it well and then at other times we didn't, it just comes down to execution.”

The Gators felt they had learned to play with Kentucky after losing twice during the season when UK took command late in both games just like it did here Friday.

“We stuck to our game plan. I think we hung in there pretty well. Two times we played half a game, tonight we didn't play a full 40‑minute game. In order to beat them, you got to play a full 40‑minute game,” Florida guard Eli Carter said.

Calipari was just happy the “will to win” UK will need to challenge for a national championship was evident when the Wildcats needed it most.

“They have a will to win. They do have a will to win and we have enough playmaker kind of players Andrew to Aaron to Karl now to Trey, I think Tyler,” Calipiari said. “ We got a lot of guys that aren't afraid to make the play. To be those kind of players, you cannot be afraid to make the game‑winning play. None of those kids are.

“They will take it. If they miss it, they will live with the result, which is late in the game where we'll make a play or two or come up with a defensive stop, we'll do some good stuff.”

Kentucky did just enough good stuff Friday to get into the conference tourney semifinals Saturday and continue its pursuit of perfection at Bridgestone Arena, which was a sea of blue Friday.
  • KSR Twitter Feed