Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Ulis came to Kentucky to be on the big stage

By: LARRY VAUGHT

NASHVILLE — After Friday’s win over Florida in the Southeastern Conference Tournament, Tyler Ulis wasn’t quite sure just how many games No. 1 Kentucky had won.

“It is 32?” he asked after the 64-49 win.

He was right and his play — 7 points, four assists, three steals and two rebounds — along with his energy played a big role in why UK overcame a sluggish start to reach the semifinals against surprising Auburn Saturday after the Tigers beat LSU Friday for their third win in three days here.

“It was a physical game. We have to fight through it. Coach (John Calipari) is telling us to get lower and not worry about the fouls,” Ulis said after the win over Florida. “They came at us, they weren’t scared. They came out wanting to prove something, trying to beat us and they gave us their best shot.”

It was the first postseason game for Ulis — and three freshmen teammates — and he thought it was a good test for No. 1 Kentucky.

“It’s a good way to start. We came out, like I said, in the second half, got a lot of stops, back to back to back. We all knew as a team, we came together, talked about it saying we needed stops and we did it,” Ulis said. “We just have to try and play for ourselves (as a team) and keep getting better every day.”

Ulis is the smallest Wildcat, but also maybe the tenacious. He forced a turnover by Florida’s Michael Frazier, and then said a few words to let him know about it.

“He caught the ball, dribbled and I got the steal. I tried to amp it up and get the crowd pumped,” Ulis said. “I said a little bit to him. I don’t remember what I said. It was just a spur of the moment thing, no big deal.”

For much of the game, UK had only three assists — all by Ulis — before finishing with just seven on 21 made shots.

“It was just a lot of post moves and stuff. We were sharing the ball,” Ulis said. “I don’t know what happened with the (total) assists, but I thought we played well and shared the ball.”

With NCAA play looming, the stage gets only bigger even for UK. However, Ulis won’t be distracted.

“I love the big stage,” he said. “That is why we all came here. The stage is big every night playing here and everybody steps up to the stage. But we know it gets harder every game. Everybody is going to come at us. They are not going to bow down. They are going to give us their best shot, just like Florida did, and we have to fight through it.”

He’s not worried about making a name for himself, either.

“I am not focused on that. I am just trying to do what is best for my team and go forward,” Ulis said.

It’s the same logic Ulis and his teammates have about a potential 40-0 season.

“We are not thinking that way. Coach does not want us to think that way. Take one game at a time and not look past anybody. That’s how we have done it all season and will keep doing it,” Ulis said.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post