Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Kentucky can't underestimate any team

By: LARRY VAUGHT

LEXINGTON — Aaron Harrison says Kentucky players who reached the national title game last year have had a simple message for the team’s freshmen going into postseason play.

“We just know how important it is, and we know how hard you have to play, so we just know that we can’t underestimate any team, and we have to go out every game and play as hard as we can,” said Harrison. “Don’t stress about it, don’t worry about it, just go play ball.”

Kentucky is 31-0 going into its first game in the Southeastern Conference Tournament on Friday afternoon in Nashville. Coach John Calipari said the Cats are playing this week for the fans, then for the team again when NCAA Tournament play starts.

“We want to win every game, but that’s not what our season is about. Like we’ve been saying all year, our season is about the week after that (the NCAA Tournament). We want to go out and win but it’s not the end of the world,” Harrison said.

Harrison, UK’s top scorer at 11.2 points per game, said he’s ready for postseason play.

“I’m feeling really good actually. It’s time to really turn it on. My body is really prepared for this actually,” Harrison, who was named to the All-SEC second team Tuesday, said. “ I think we did a lot of good work this season and this offseason, so we’re all prepared.”

Kentucky won two games at last year’s SEC tourney before falling to Florida in the title game. Kentucky then won five games in the NCAA before losing to Connecticut in the national title game.

“We honestly just had a different style of play where we just started attacking more and everybody ran a lot more and got easy baskets and started having more fun,” Harrison said. “We did have a small tweak obviously, but I think we just stated to play as a team more. I think that was the only tweak.”

He said Tuesday’s individual accolade meant little to him.

“It really doesn’t matter. It’s not really a big deal. We know we have the best players in the country, so it’s not really a big deal,” Harrison said. “I really don’t like it ‘cause I think we have the best players in the country from top to bottom, and it’s kinda pointless to say, give conference awards and things like that. It’s not really important.”

He felt his brother, sophomore point guard Andrew Harrison, deserved some type of All-SEC recognition.

“Obviously he deserves it, but it’s about who picks it not about who’s the best really,” Harrison said before noting it will be “fun to watch” his brother use the slight as motivation.

He knows Alabama or Florida will be motivated to play UK after losing twice to the Cats already this season.

“You just know that they have a chip on their shoulder against us, so we have to have the same chip on our shoulders,” Harrison said.

Harrison hit three straight game-winning shots in postseason play last year which carried UK to the national title game.

“I’m looking to play even better than I did last year in the postseason and just continue to work hard and try to win every game,” he said. “Just to continue to be consistent for my team, continue to attack and defend.

“It’s about playing, just about being all the way focused and being mentally in tune with the game. Coach told me to attack more and that’s what I did and other things come along with that.”

While Harrison knows it would be special if the Cats all played their best at one time, he also understands that likely will not happen.

“Everyone’s not going to be on their A-game every day. There’s people who haven’t been at their best some games,” he said. “I mean it’s been me some nights. Whoever’s not at their best we just take up for them and help them out.”
  • KSR Twitter Feed