Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Eliot emphasizing being physical

By: LARRY VAUGHT

LEXINGTON — Defensive coordinator D.J. Eliot said Kentucky emphasized "being physical" during the first day of spring practice in pads Wednesday and he was pleased with how the players responded.

“Played the run well today. You got some new guys in some new spots, so still making some assignment mistakes but nothing that we can’t get cleaned up by the end of spring. Emphasis on playing with intensity and playing with enthusiasm and running to the football, and for the most part been able to get that done for the first three practices," said Eliot.

“I expect us to be more physical every year. That’s the emphasis. In this league that’s the key. We’re harping on it. Today was the first day of pads, and we’re going to continue to harp on it throughout the spring.”

Kentucky will hold its annual Pro Day Thursday — parts will be shown on the SEC Network — and NFL scouts are expected to watch Bud Dupree, a likely first-round draft pick, and Za'Darius Smith, the defensive ends who anchored UK's defense last year.

"Do not have any Bud Duprees out there (practicing). But we do have some good players at his position that have been working hard and getting better every day," Eliot said.

Here's more of what Eliot had to say after Wednesday's practice, UK's third of the spring.

Question: How has freshman linebacker/end Denzil Ware looked so far?

Eliot: “Denzil Ware looks good. He’s a guy that’s playing Bud’s position. He’s an outside linebacker for us. We knew that he was going to be a very skilled and aggressive player. Decided to redshirt him last year, and it was very good for him because he was able to gain some size and some maturity. Getting in the groove of things for the first three days I’ve been pleased with his progress.”

Question: Have players stepped up to replace Dupree’s leadership?

Eliot: “We have. The year before I was concerned with losing Avery (Williamson), and I think Bud did a good job of stepping up and taking over that role. This year I’m going to have to find somebody to take Bud’s role, and we’ve got some guys leading. Who or when? I don’t know yet, but we do have some guys that are certainly trying to lead by example and at times are leading vocally as well.”

Question: Has the light turned on for linebacker Ryan Flannigan, a junior college transfer last year?

Eliot: "He really came on there at the end of the season. I think he had double-digit tackles in the last two games. You can see him understanding the defense better this spring. He did not have an offseason at all last year because he got here in August, so he’s had an offseason of lifting and running. He looks more athletic. He’s bigger. He’s playing faster. I feel good about the progress that he’s made in one year.”

Question: Will freshman Kengera Daniel play linebacker or defensive end?

Eliot: “I don’t know where he’s going to play. Today he played end. He was at end today. I don’t know which position he’ll end up at, but he has the skills to do both. That’s the good thing. That’s the good thing.”

Question: How have offseason staff changes his responsibilities?

Eliot: “Andy Buh is an excellent coach, and I’m very excited to have him. One reason why it’s helped us is because we’ve been able — when we first came here we weren’t as multiple. Then we kind of grew into a multiple defense and we developed more 3-4 schemes and the outside linebackers were involved in our schemes quite a bit, but we didn’t have an outside linebacker coach. Really, who we’re coaching hasn’t changed. It’s just the fact that we have a position that we didn’t have when we first got here. So the fact that Andy’s here and he’s coaching the outside linebackers gives us a coach that is able to put that time and effort into that particular position exclusively, and that’s going to help us in the long run.”
  • KSR Twitter Feed