Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Robic- Awards nice, but not Kentucky's goals

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Assistant coach John Robic thought the bevvy of Southeastern Conference postseason awards Kentucky received, including coach of the year for John Calipari, was "great" for the unbeaten Cats going into postseason play.

"I’m sure that every player that earns something would want to share it with the guys who are on this team because it’s not an individual-type team. All those young men are deserving of it. I’m happy about that," said Robic Tuesday.

Willie Cauley-Stein was named defensive player of the year, Karl-Anthony Towns freshman of the year and Devin Booker sixth man of the year. All four UK freshmen were named to the all-freshman team and Cauley-Stein, Booker, Towns and Aaron Harrison made the all-SEC teams.

Many thought Cauley-Stein would win the player of the year that went to Bobby Portis of Arkansas.

“It probably came down to those two. I don’t know how – we’re not privy to the ballots. Both had an excellent year. Probably more voters looked at (offensive) numbers than anything else, but it’s kind of natural a little bit," Robic said. "But Willie had an outstanding year. For where he came from the first two years to this year is just terrific to see.”

Here's more of what Robic had to say Tuesday.

Question: Does UK’s depth make awards hard to decide?
    Robic: “These awards, they’re nice and everything, but that’s not what these kids are playing for. Some of them mean a lot more than others. That’s more of what their opinions are of the players. Honestly when we did our voting it was tough because you can’t vote for your own players. It was hard for us as a staff to do that.”

Question: What about Cauley-Stein saying he values team accomplishments over individual awards?
    Robic: “That’s what this team has done. If these players are going to give up minutes and shots and points and rebounds and assists to see their name on a piece of paper all-this or all-that. The goal is much bigger. And they play as a team and all that. And that’s just a prime example of why this team has been playing well.”

Question: What are UK’s current strengths and weaknesses as a team?
    Robic: “I think we’re being more aggressive and more attacking offensively. I think Andrew (Harrison) and Tyler (Ulis) have done a good job of pushing the ball up court and putting pressure on the defense. That just gives us one more look at each possession at the basket. I think our post players are getting better and better. Being more aggressive and scoring around the goal.

"The one thing we have to sure up a little bit, maybe, is ball-screen defense. That’s what teams are trying to do right now. We’re still good. Everybody got spoiled with what we did early in the year when you’re holding teams to 26, 27, 28 percent at the most. Somebody shooting 42 percent is like the roof fell in.”

Question: Is the ball-screen defense a communication issue?
    Robic: “Yes. It can be. Part communication, part breaking down, part stop playing. But those are easily fixable.”

Question: What about Cauley-Stein being a little unhappy being known as just a defensive player?
    Robic: “I don’t think that really had a whole lot to do with being player of the year. His offense is still a work in progress. Where he’s come from two years ago, it’s not nearly what he is right now. Now we want to throw the ball to the post and have him make a play or get fouled because he’s shooting free throws so much better this year. I mean, all of our guys. I think we’re 70 percent as a team, so it’s not like you have to hide anybody. It doesn’t have to be situational that way.

"One thing with Willie that’s going to transpire is being a good defensive player is a great thing. I mean, he changes the game in so many facets. I saw all types of conversation about him, and they were all the same: He can guard one through a five. You can’t really do that when you’re 7-foot-half inch. It’s a luxury we have.”

Question: What are the difficulties of facing a team for a third time like UK will do against either Florida or Alabama Friday in Nashville?
    Robic: “I think that’s exaggerated a little bit because it’s the next game. We’re going to play. It’s just the way that the brackets came. Actually for us and them, we get to watch two games of us playing against them as opposed to one. Like for instance, if we drew Texas A&M, we played them so long ago that they’ve played 16 games in between. You don’t have enough time to watch 16 games. So for all three schools, I think familiarity will be a big thing, and we’ll see how it goes.”

Question: Does he share John Calipari’s dislike of conference tournaments?
    Robic: “Yeah, it’s just tough when you have to play three games in three days and then turn right back around and most likely play on Thursday. That’s tough. Now you’re talking potentially, what, five games in eight days. That’s tough going forward. Somebody has to do it. Now, a bunch of leagues have already finished, but most of the bigger leagues are like that. So that’s pretty much the downfall for me is that you jam that much in a short period of time.”

Question: Will they lean on their depth a little more at this time of year?
    “Oh, you have to. You have to. I mean, what you’re going to see—like right now, you’ve got some really, really good players that are hurt right now: (Danuel) House at (Texas A&M) (Jordan) Mickey at LSU, (Kenny) Gaines at Georgia. So, hopefully they can come back and play. You’re talking about three all-league players. The deeper the team, the fresher you can become and your bounce back is quicker. So hopefully that’s the case.”

Question: Can he tell a difference with his guys in how fresh they have kept them?
    Robic: “I think we’ve done a good job of that all year long. I think the person that plays the most on our team is about 25 minutes. Not only that, but I think what Coach (Calipari) did as far as one off day that’s mandated, and then the other being an individual work, lift, film day, you’re not pounding them on the court for two hours that day. We’ve been doing that for probably about six weeks now, so I think that helps as well.

"This is a nice break for us now. We haven’t played since Saturday, and that was four days ago. We’re going to watch some film and do workouts this afternoon and then really get back at it. We’re going to script some things tonight and then really get back at it tomorrow before we travel.”
  • KSR Twitter Feed