Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Kentucky three seniors share chemistry, look forward to senior day

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Even though they seldom play, Kentucky’s three seniors know the special chemistry this year’s undefeated team has had.

“Everyone sharing with each other, being unselfish, being on the same page on and off the court, knowing what the other person’s thinking, know where they’re going to be at and really trusting each other,” said Sam Malone. “I think it started in the Bahamas (in August during the exhibition games), but we’re at the point where I think we know what we’re doing is working really well, so why would we change anything.

“Just keep trusting each other. There’s no reason to do anything we haven’t been doing and I think that’s really been working out great for us.”

Kentucky closes its regular season Saturday afternoon by hosting Florida and a win would make the Cats 31-0 heading to postseason play.

“Well we’re all really close on and off the court. We had that in the past, in the past couple teams, but this year’s team is majority the same as the team that made the Final Four run last year and we were a close team last year,” Tod Lanter said. “I think that loss (in the national title game to Connecticut) brought us closer together and it showed.

“It taught us to hold each other accountable for even every day in practice. If you’re taking a drill off, your teammates hold each other accountable now and I think that’s been a big step this year and why everybody’s held themselves to a different standard. I think that has a lot to do with our personal relationships. It’s been beneficial for us.”

Lanter said a year together helped returning players bond along with the loss to UConn.

“People realized this isn’t as easy as we thought it was going to be. A lot of times you put on a blue and white Kentucky jersey and you’re like, ‘Oh, we’re Kentucky. They’re not good enough to beat us.’ A lot of young guys who haven’t played in the college game don’t realize how hard it actually is and that one possession off can make a difference in a ballgame and in our case the national title,” Lanter said.

“I think that’s fueled the fire and it’s given us an incredible drive to succeed every possession. Ultimately, that’s what’s led to the season we’ve had so far.”

Brian Long, who was on the 2012 national title team along with Malone, said the hype has been there for all four UK teams he’s been on but admits this year it was a bit different.

“The hype around this team was pretty big. To go out there and do it every day is a different story. I wouldn’t say I’m surprised, but it’s great that we’re having this much success so far and we’re starting to pick it up even more,” Long said.

Off the court, Long said team is “kind of in between” being serious and having fun.

On how the team is off the floor …
    “I think they’re kind of in between (serious and fun loving). Everyone has fun, but they’re serious in the same aspect. You look at the Arkansas game, you can tell we were serious and it was a big game and they beat us twice last year and stuff, so it was good to see us come out and have a lot of energy and show that we were ready to go,” Long said.

Florida actually beat UK three times last year but the Cats have already won at Florida this season. Still, the Senior Day game — which could also be the farewell game for several other Cats expected to opt for the NBA after this season

“I’m just looking forward to it. Playing my last game in Rupp and being a part of the environment one last time,” Long said. ‘We’ve had two real good years (2012 and 2014) and this year the story’s not over yet. It’s been a great ride all four years. Just appreciate everything and it’s been real fun.”

Malone said he is “excited” about his final home game.

“I think it’s been a great year so far and just to cap it off with one more game at home would be awesome. Really looking forward to it,” Malone said.

At one time, Kentucky almost always gave seniors a start in their final home game. Malone doesn’t see that happening Saturday.

“Unless 12 other people get a crippling flu, I don’t think we’re going to start. But we’ll see what happens,” Malone joked.

He says the “ups and downs” of his career have been memorable.

“People forget last year. I mean, our heads were almost under water last year and were able to make a big run. But, freshman year I thought it was going to be like that every year, then the next with that NIT—it was totally different from the first year. But we just stuck with our game plan of what we were doing as far as the program goes, and we’re back to where we want to be,” Malone said.
  • KSR Twitter Feed