Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Mark Stoops says Reinforcements are on the Way

By: LONNY DEMAREE

The use a NASCAR metaphor, the Wildcats are not starting from the pole-position but they are start a lot closer to the front. This comes about from the 2015 addition of the Cats because of a solid redshirt program. Prior to the 2012 season when Larry Warford was draft to the Detroit Lions, the last last offensive lineman drafted from the Cats was Todd Perry to the Chicago Bears in 1993. This phenomenon speaks volumes as to the reason the Wildcats have had trouble winning on the gridiron. Between those years including Warford every offensive lineman capable of helping the team was played as a true freshman.

When you perused the Vanderbilt roster when James Franklin took over there was bevy of redshirts. The former coach didn't win but he had stocked the roster with a lot redshirts that Franklin benefited from.

In the third year of Stoops' tenure he has been about the business of stocking his roster with quality redshirts. He now begins the task of putting them in position to win football games.

Offensive line coach John Schlarman has had the benefit of redshirt every offensive lineman since they came aboard the UK program and that should start paying dividends. “We are bigger now thanks to Erik Korem and his staff,” Stoops said on signing day. Along with the redshirt freshman o-linemen that showed promise and played last season Schlarman has a bumper crop of 2014 redhirts to work with in spring practice. Those players include Josh Krok, Jarrett LaRubbio (both of which are 6-foot-8, 300 plus), Jervontius “Bunchy” Stallings, and Nick Richardson. In the seventies and eighties and a good portion of the nineties teams won with primarily strong defenses and a running game. But now big offensive linemen with long arms are the emphasis because of the passing game and the complexities of offenses. So now defense is no less prioritized but it all starts in the offensive line. The Wildcats started last season with two redshirt offensive linemen on the field. Kyle Meadows started in suspended Darrian Millers place and Ramsey Meyers started every game last season.

Other redshirts the coach will be looking at is wide receivers Alex Montgomery, and Jeff Badet from the 2013 class who were both recovering from injuries. He also redshirted wide receiver Thaddeus Snodgrass who lost a lot of time with a hamstring pull beginning last season fall practice so they decided to redshirt him instead. “They've done nothing but get stronger and smarter,” assistant coach Tommy Maniord. “This spring is a great opportunity for them.” Some felt Alex Montgomery could have played mid-way of last season.

As spring practice progresses we will be exploring the defense more where linebackers and defensive backs are of high priority.
    Comments 4 Comments
      CatQuick -
      I was reading some comments on CI where Marrow was talking that this year's edition of the team is finally starting to pass the "SEC Look Test." Erik Korem (strength coach) listed several lifting and athletic metrics of this year's team to compared to the team Stoop's inherited. There is a world of difference. Of course it has to translate to the field, but even though we aren't necessarily catching up with the league in terms of "stars", it does seem that at least the bodies are more competitive with the top half of the league.
      dan_bgblue -
      I truly look forward to reading your reports on the Oline as practice progresses. As you stated, UK has to have a good Oline to move forward. Hoping the recruited talent of the past couple of years will much needed talent on the field.
      suncat05 -
      All of this sounds promising. I am very excited about the next 2-3 years of Kentucky football. I trust CMS & his staff to make us a winner. That being said, we absolutely, positively have to make a bowl game this upcoming season.
      And somewhere along the way we have to get this monkey off our back and end the losing streak to Florida. I am so sick & tired of hearing all of the bullyang that I have to listen to from these arrogant bungholes!
      This upcoming season is where the changes for the positive have to start happening.
      MickintheHam -
      Lonny thanks for the good read. I hope the promise of spring is fulfilled this autumn.
  • KSR Twitter Feed