Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Lanter - "No regrets" about being part of the Kentucky program

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Because his father, Bo, played at Kentucky, senior Tod Lanter knew a lot about what to expect when he transferred to UK for his final three years as a walk-on player for coach John Calipari.

“It’s been great for me. He (Bo) has been there every step of the way since I was young telling me, ‘Push for your dreams.’ I’ve been blessed that it’s been able to work out how it has. He’s been my biggest support since day one, so it’s been a great experience,” said Lanter as he prepares for his final home game Saturday when UK hosts Florida with a chance to end a perfect regular season.

His first season UK went to the NIT. Last year the Cats made the national title game and this season UK has been ranked No. 1 in every poll all year.

“First year, we didn’t have as spectacular of a finish as we expected. The second year we were able to bounce back and use that drive to propel us all the way to the national championship game and fell short. Like I said, ups and downs. So this year we’ve taken that same fire and tried to put a spectacular season together and hopefully we can make it back to Indy this year for a Final Four and make something happen,” Lanter, who estimates he’s been to five or six Senior Day games at Kentucky.

He still remembers the Senior Day for Mason County’s Darius Miller in 2012, UK’s national championship season.

“That was when I transferred back so I was able to be there for that one. Pretty incredible for him having been a Kentucky kid getting to live out his dream here too. And he obviously had a spectacular career. I remember some guys from when I was younger. I remember being here for Tayshaun (Prince) and that crew,” he said. “ I think Ravi (Moss) was somewhere around that time. I remember theirs. Now I’m going to have to be a part of it and I’m sure it’ll be tough, but at the same time it’s part of the process and I’m thankful to be there.”

He’s seen video of his father’s Senior Day and knows it can be an emotional time, especially for an in-state player like himself.

“This is the end of the line so it’s kind of like the last hurrah. But at the same time, I’m ready to move on. I’ve been in school long enough. I know what I need to know to get on with my life and hopefully work out a successful career,” Lanter said. “I’m looking forward to the next step, but it’ll be tough to say goodbye to it. But I’m still going to be here. So I’ll be around to watch future players come through the program and things.

“I’ll have a couple business degrees. I know I want to get my real-estate license immediately after graduation and see where that takes me. Hopefully use some connections to look around, see what I think I could be successful in. But I think I want to do some sales for a while. I think that’s important with business degrees, to have some sales experience. I’ll try that for a little bit and see what happens.”

While he’s played sparingly — he’s been in five games for a total of just six minutes and made his only shot this year — but has no regrets about being part of the UK program.

“I’ve grown up around this program. I’ve seen its ups and downs. I’ve had a little bit of insight with my dad being here, stories and things, and I’ve had personal relationships with past players. So I’ve gotten a little bit more of an insight than most typical fans have,” Lanter said. “And then now I got to step into this role and experience something that most kids growing up here don’t get to do and it’s just been — every step of the way I’ve tried to take it all in one step at a time, one day at a time.

“You get caught up in the ups and downs of a season and the ins and outs of practice and things and you sometimes lose track of where you actually are and what you’re getting to go through and how many people would kill to be able to be in this position. I try to take the time to take it all in.”

Taking it in includes knowing there is a Twitter account for his biceps — something that could happen only with UK fans. He doesn’t follow that Twitter account.

“I figured that would be a little weird so I didn’t follow it,” Lanter said. “It’s funny. I’ve had some random people mention it to me. I actually had a walk-on from Auburn during the Auburn game come up and ask me about it before the game, which is a little shocking. It’s fun and games. I’ll roll with it, I guess. It’s incredible how many people are interested in even our lives and what we’ve got going on. I think that’s part of what makes this place so incredible to be at.”
    Comments 1 Comment
      kingcat -
      Great stuff. I remember his Dad's days. Fun times.
  • KSR Twitter Feed