Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Georgia win over Kentucky locks Bulldogs in NCAA field

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Georgia has helped solidify its NCAA Tournament resume by winning three straight games to climb to 19-9 overall and 10-6 in Southeastern Conference play. However, a win over No. 1 Kentucky Tuesday night on ESPN certainly would seem to lock the Bulldogs into the tournament field.

Georgia will have a winning record in SEC play for the second straight season for the first time since 2003 and only the fourth time in the program’s history.

“Three years ago, we were .500 in this league and last year we had a winning record in the league and this year we have a winning record in the league and every kid graduates. We’ve only got two seniors and we’ve got a good team coming back. In the grand scheme of things I’m proud of our players for putting us in that position,” said Georgia coach Mark Fox after Saturday’s win over Missouri.

Forward Nemanja Djurisic’s 14 points led three Bulldogs in double figures in the win over Missouri. The Bulldogs also won the rebounding battle 47-30 and held Missouri to 28.6 percent shooting from the field. The only game the Tigers shot worse this season was 27.1 percent against Kentucky on Jan. 29.

Fox knows plenty about Kentucky. The Bulldogs lost 69-58 at Kentucky on Feb. 3 when Marcus Thornton, the team’s third leading scorer at 11.1 points per game and top rebounder at 7.1 in SEC play, was injured. However, Kentucky also was missing freshman forward Trey Lyles, who has had 18 points in each of the last two games.

“Kentucky’s got a great team,” Fox said after Saturday’s win. “One of the great teams of all-time. They’ve got a frontline bigger than I think every NBA team than maybe one. How do we get ready for Kentucky? I’ll call Bud (coach Mike Budenholzer of the Atlanta Hawks) and see if we can scrimmage.”

Georgia guard J.J. Frazier, one of five Georgia players averaging in double figures in SEC play at 10.6 per game, said his team is not intimidated by UK.

“I feel like we can play with anybody in the country. Our best player wasn’t playing (at Kentucky). Of course, you get a little bit more confident because as I call him, ‘The Boss’ wasn’t down in the paint,’” Frazier said.

Mississippi coach Andy Kennedy certainly has been impressed by Georgia, which won 76-72 at Ole Miss Feb. 25.

“Georgia is a big, physical team,” Kennedy said. “They are a good team first and foremost. When you have five starters averaging in double figures, they are impressive collectively. They have size and strength and a bring a physical aspect. They have very solid point guard play in (Charles) Mann.

“Frazier has evolved as a prolific scorer and someone you must game plan for. (Guard) Kenny Gaines is rounding back into form. I just don’t think they have any weaknesses. They are good on both ends of the floor and they do very little to hurt themselves.”
  • KSR Twitter Feed