Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Aaron Harrison ready for more March Madness

By LARRY VAUGHT

Aaron Harrison hit some remarkable shots during last year’s NCAA Tournament surge for Kentucky and readily admits he “excited about just making a run” in the postseason again this year.

“I’m definitely excited for March and just the atmosphere. Just can’t wait for it to get here,” said Harrison.

However, don’t think the Kentucky sophomore guard is going to overlook UK’s final four regular-season games starting with the one Wednesday night at Mississippi State.

“I mean we’re playing some top teams. We got Mississippi State and Arkansas up next, and it’s not really hard to get up for games like that,” Harrison said Monday without noting that Arkansas beat UK twice last year.

Harrison still remembers last year’s 69-59 win at Mississippi State.

“Played a little sloppy there last year and I don’t think we defended really well, so we have some making up to do,” he said.

Kentucky made up for nine losses going into NCAA play last year with its run to the national title game that included three game-winning shots by Harrison. He had correctly predicted after a regular-season loss at South Carolina that UK could still write a “great story” for its season.

“We’re much further along (than last year). We bought in a lot earlier this year, and it’s just a lot easier,”  Harrison said. “I mean, it’s been a great story so far, so we’ll see.”

Kentucky is 27-0 and ranked No. 1. However, Harrison said “no one would ever expect us to be 27-0” even though UK has been No. 1 in every poll this season and favored in every game.

“No one would ever expect us to be 27-0, really, and having a good time really, just being on the best team in the country and just going out winning games. Just been fun really,” he said.

His 3-point shooting has been off at times this year — he’s not even shooting as well from long range as his brother, Andrew — but it has not bothered him or coach John Calipari, who insists in a close game he’ll always have Harrison on the floor at the end even though he’s hitting just under 30 percent from 3-point range and is just 3-for-19 from long range in the last four games. He’s had more than two 3-pointers in just one of his last 11 games and three times has failed to make a trey.

“I think just playing this game you go through slumps and just still have to have the confidence to take the last shot or do anything you can to help your team win, even if you are playing a bad game. That’s just part of it,” Harrison said. “It’s an honor and I think it’s a compliment to have your coach think of you in that way.”

No wonder Calipari has wanted him to attack more and not settle for 3-point shots.

“Aaron now is driving the ball more, not settling for all 3’s, not expecting someone to always get him a shot. Go get your own, man. Bounce into the lane. We're setting you a screen. You got to create your own shot,” Calipari said.

“You just have to be aggressive really. Just be in attack mode really, that’s what (Calipari) says,” Harrison said. “But it is really tough to do that sometimes with so many guys on the floor, so much talent.”

Harrison, who averages 10.9 points and 2.2 rebounds per game, understands why getting in the lane more can benefit him and his brother.

“We’re big guards and just our ability to get in the lane is a big thing. It just creates shots for other guys and just really helps us be a more aggressive team,” Harrison said.

He knows he needs to pick up his overall play like his brother has recently.

“I’ve been a little inconsistent lately and just gotta work on that really. He’s been playing well for the last month now really. Just gotta get myself together,” Harrison said. “You just gotta come into every game with energy really. If you bring the energy I think everything else takes care of itself, so if you have that, that’s the biggest thing.

“I think I’ve kinda been settling for jump shots, being a spot-up shooter really, and I just want to change that, be more aggressive and attack like I used to. I can get to the basket easier than I’ve been showing and just wanna work on that and help my team out.”

The Harrisons debated leaving UK last year after the Cats lost in the national title game to Connecticut but opted to stay in college rather than head to the NBA, a decision Aaron Harrison says he’s happy with.

“This is a great place to be. There’s no rush to get out of here ‘cause (there’s) few other places in the country like this. I think we made the right decision,” he said.

Will they be back again as juniors?

“I don’t know,” he laughed and said.
  • KSR Twitter Feed