Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Showtime for Kentucky - 110-75 win over Auburn

By LARRY VAUGHT

LEXINGTON — This was show time for No. 1 Kentucky as the Cats exploded for a season-high 110 points against Auburn.

As good as unbeaten UK has been this season, the Wildcats had not hit the century mark until destroying outmanned Auburn 110-75.

“Honestly, we didn’t even know how many points we had until right at the end,” said UK sophomore Marcus Lee. “We just don’t pay attention to the score like that.”

While there were plenty of superlatives to go around after UK’s 27th straight victory that gave coach John Calipari his 100th win at Rupp Arena in 104 games, the best part for UK might have been the continued stellar play of Andrew Harrison. Yes, the Andrew Harrison that often gets criticized and had just one point, two assists and no field goal attempts in UK’s win at Florida when some speculated that Calipari should play freshman Tyler Ulis even more.

Harrison has responded since that game with four solid outings. He just missed his first UK double-double as he had 12 points and nine assists against Auburn. Never mind that he was 3-for-8 from the field because he showed the aggressiveness Calipari has wanted to get to the foul line eight times. He also got two rebounds.

In the last four games, he has 48 points, 21 assists and 12 rebounds. That’s 12 points, 5.2 assists and 3.0 rebounds per game — all numbers that make him efficient and just what this talented team needs to make a national championship push.

And remember before his performance at Auburn, he had 23 points and seven assists against Georgia.

“That’s job him doing his job. We all have a job to do, and that’s what he does. I can’t honestly explain how he gets in the lane and does what he does, but he just does it,” Lee said.

Harrison came out attacking this game like Calipari wants. He hit a 3-pointer less than three minutes into the game and got his second basket less than a minute later to push UK’s lead to 11-2. However, he also had two assists in that spell.

Teammates know if they are open, he’ll get them the ball. Opponents know he’s going to punish them with his size, and now that he’s displaying the relentless style that Calipari wants he is running the team like he did during last season’s remarkable tournament run. His play is not why UK shot a season-high 64.7 percent from the field, but when he directs the offense like he did it makes everything work so much better. Six players were in double figures, only the second time that has happened this season.

“He is getting in the lane,” Calipari said. “If he does not, I am taking him out. He’s really big, really strong and really skilled.”

His brother, Aaron, had 18 points, four rebounds, two steals and one assist. Calipari said he did the “same thing” as Andrew Harrison and “created a lot of shots for himself and us” during the game.

“That is what those two can do. They are 6-6. They are big. They don’t have to settle and play slow,” Calipari said. “Same thing defensively.”

Calipari’s team had 25 assists, but the coach quickly noted that Andrew Harrison was not “distributing the ball” as much as he was just attacking.

“He is attacking and getting in the lane. When he gets in the lane, he can make shots and make free throws,” Calipari said. “He is a great passer He plays on instinct. I want him and his brother to do more. If they don’t attack or jog back, I am taking them out. I don’t care if you turn it over, just attack. If they back off, shoot it. I don’t want to run a lot of plays. We have good enough players.”

No one can dispute that. Certainly not Auburn coach Bruce Pearl who feels the Wildcats can go unbeaten.

“I think because of their character and chemistry, I think they certainly can (go unbeaten),” Pearl said. “They are the most physical offensive team we have played.”

He says his only concern would be games were suddenly officiated differently in tournament play — which can happen.

“They are very physical when they post up and get the ball in deep. None of those were fouls tonight,” Pearl said.

The Auburn coach also noted the great size Andrew Harrison has to direct the UK offense and get the ball inside.

“He can go by you, too,” Pearl said. “He looks over the top of you. That is a real factor. He is solid defensively. He’s a big guard. Both Harrisons play good defense and are committed to it.”

Dakari Johnson had 13 points and six rebounds Saturday. No one appreciates what Andrew Harrison does more than him.

“When he plays like this, it helps a lot. It just opens the floor and court,” Johnson said. “It gets everybody involved when he attacks like that.”

Yet Calipari can remember just a year ago when his team that eventually reached the national title game was struggling.

“Know what we looked like last Feb 21? We looked like it was Nov. 1. Remember that?” Calipari said. “It was just a year ago we were on the cusp and if we had lost that opening game to LSU (in the SEC Tournament) we we would not have been in the NCAA Tournament.”

He might be right, but this season UK has no such worries as barring a collapse it has all but earned a No. 1 seed.

Then if Andrew Harrison keeps attacking the way his coach wants, UK will have a chance to get back to that national title game.
  • KSR Twitter Feed