Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Cats defeat Vols, move to 26-0

KNOXVILLE — In many ways Tennessee seemed to have the perfect scenario for beating No. 1 Kentucky here Tuesday night.

Weather concerns had forced UK to change travel plans and then in the first half the Vols shot 54.2 percent from the field, outrebounded UK 15-13 and outscored UK 20-8 in the paint thanks in large part to two fouls in 54 seconds by Karl-Anthony Towns.

Yet once again Kentucky did what it has done all year — found a way to overcome and win 66-48.

Naturally, defense again played a huge part as the Cats took a Tennessee offense that made 13 of 24 shots in the first half and limited the Vols to 9-for-24 shooting — it was 6-for-25 at one point — in the second half. They also went to work harder on the boards led by Willie Cauley-Stein and relied on solid court play by point guards Tyler Ulis and Andrew to win their 26th straight game, a school record.

Freshman Devin Booker said the 26-0 start “means a lot to UK” but does not overshadow what lies ahead.

“Historic program like UK, I do not know what to say,” Booker said about the 26-0 start. “I am a loss of words, but we have got to keep doing good things.”

That’s what Kentucky coach John Calipari wants — and emphasizes daily.

He wants Towns to learn not to commit two fouls so early. He wants Booker to learn that as good as he can shoot, sometimes the ball needs to go inside more. He wants constant improvement.

“We are playing to get better. If that means we win more games, that’s fine. There are areas of offense we are focusing on and areas of defense we are focusing on and that’s what we are doing,” Calipari said.

Kentucky focused on defense the second half after letting Tennessee be the aggressor in the first half, a pattern that has happened several times in Southeastern Conference play. Calipari rattled off games against LSU, Florida and Mississippi where the Cats let that happen and then came back to win.

Cauley-Stein said UK’s non-aggressive play in the first half sometimes gives an opponent “beer muscles” — a term Calipari uses — and is a problem UK has to correct.

“That is the target we have,” Cauley-Stein said. “We know that.”

Calipari said getting Towns back in the game the second half dramatically improved the defense because it allowed Cauley-Stein to “roam” more. Towns had two blocks and four rebounds the second half while Cauley-Stein had one block and seven boards.

Tennessee coach Donnie Tyndall thought it was more than that.

“They are a heck of a defensive team. Kentucky made stops when they had to. Their length is so big it is a challenge,” Tyndall said. “You can’t beat Kentucky without hitting 3-pointers.”

Tennessee couldn’t do that as it was just 2-for-17 from 3-point range, including 0-for-10 the second half. Kentucky closed out so well on shooters that times it enabled the Vols to grab offensive rebounds, but a team that doesn’t make 3-pointers is going to struggle to beat UK.

“Whoever is the aggressor is going to win,” Calipari said. “We were the aggressor the second half. You have to come out and punch us before we punch you.”

As usual, though, Kentucky ended up landing more punches as it just had too much depth. Tyndall said UK’s guards were on a team even when Booker and Aaron Harrison, UK’s best shooters, went a combined 6-for-23 from the field. Booker still had 18 points despite going 5-for-16 from the field because he was 6-for-6 at the foul line and he had a career-high seven rebounds, including four on offense.

“Just something we have been focused on,” Booker said about the rebounding. “That’s what the team needs. As a bigger guard, I have got to get more assertive on the boards.”

When he does, that allows Calipari to keep him in the game even when he’s not making shots he would normally hit.

It’s part of the growing process that Calipari hopes will end with his team winning a national title.

“We are still not where we need to be. We are growing,” Calipari said. “I want every individual player on the team when you watch them to say they are getting better. If you are not saying that, I am not doing my job.”
  • KSR Twitter Feed