Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Andy Buh a good fit on Mark Stoops' coaching staff

By LARRY VAUGHT

Former Kentucky offensive coordinator Tony Franklin thinks Andy Buh will be a good fit on Mark Stoops’ coaching staff at Kentucky.

Buh, a former California defensive coordinator, fills the vacancy on Stoops’ staff created when Craig Naivar left for Houston. Naivar coached safeties and special teams at UK, but Buh will coach outside linebackers and have just some of the special teams duties that will now be shared by several staff members.

Buh was California’s defensive coordinator and linebackers coach in 2013, but was demoted after one season and was removed from the on-field staff all together in 2014. Buh, a 17-year college coaching veteran, spent seven seasons as a linebackers coach and also served stints as co-defensive coordinator at Stanford for two seasons (2008-09) and defensive coordinator at Nevada for two seasons (2010-11). He was Wisconsin’s linebackers coach in 2012.

“People will really like Andy,” said Franklin, a Kentucky native who is California’s offensive coordinator. “He is a really good man. He will be a great recruiter. He has great relationships with kids and high school coaches absolutely love him. He was one of the most popular coaches recruiting in California.

“He is a good coach on the field. We went against him when he was at Nevada and respected their defense and thought his kids really played hard. That’s why (California head coach) Sonny (Dykes) wanted to hire him.”

Franklin says Buh, 41, will be a “good hire” for Stoops.

“It was just bad timing for him here and just didn’t work out,” Franklin said. “But he is a guy I would hire. From my days there at Kentucky, I think he will be one of the most popular guys on staff with boosters and the fan base. People will really like him. He is a good guy, good coach. I will be surprised if he is not a big asset at Kentucky.

“He looks older, but he is a young guy. He has young kids. His wife just had a baby when he was with us. She is wonderful, too. It’s a good family and a really good fit for Kentucky.”

Two other coaches on Stoops’ staff, Chad Scott and John Schlarman, have been on coaching staffs with Franklin.

“He will fit in great with them personality-wise,” Franklin said. “I have no idea if Mark Stoops already knew him or not. I just know that (California head coach) Sonny (Dykes) and Mark talk. I know Sonny thinks a lot of Andy.”

Franklin says Buh “genuinely likes recruiting” and all that goes with it.

“He likes being in homes. He likes young people,” Franklin said. “He has a great personality and endearing smile. He will be a home run recruiter for them. He did a great job when he was coaching at Stanford. In my opinion, he can build relationships anywhere. I know at Kentucky you have to go all over to recruit. He could go to Hawaii, California or Florida. He will be fine anywhere. He can walk in and recruit anybody with his personality.”

Franklin says Buh, like all coordinators, was involved in all aspects of coaching defense at California.

“He had his hand in everything as coordinator. I know myself as a coordinator, I could coach any position on the field and I am sure he can, too, and will be good at it. We worked well together and I am sure he will be really good for Kentucky,” Franklin said.
  • KSR Twitter Feed