Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Cats beat Bulldogs, 69-58 as Towns logs a double-double

By: LARRY VAUGHT

LEXINGTON — It was a different feeling for Karl-Anthony Towns when Tuesday’s game against Georgia ended.

For the first time in the last three outings, he put together a more complete game and finished with 15 points, 13 rebounds and two blocked shots. If those numbers don’t seem overly impressive, consider that UK had just two blocked shots and managed only 24 rebounds as Towns outrebounded the rest of the Wildcats 13-11.

“This is the first time in a while I put both halves together, had a great game. I saw a lot of things to improve on, but I’m just glad I was able to contribute a lot to this win today,” said Towns after UK’s 69-58 win that raised No. 1 Kentucky’s record to 22-0.

Kentucky coach John Calipari said Lyles, who had seven second-half rebounds, “played good” in the win.

Maybe it was the special halftime workout Calipari had Towns do before he started the second half.

Q. Do you feel like Karl finally stacked two strong halves on top of each other tonight?

“Whatever he was doing other games didn't work. So we just said, ‘Get him moving, get him sweating to start the half.’ I'm not sure it helped because he struggled to start the half. But after he got going, he was pretty good,” Calipari said.

Towns said the workout “got me warm” to start the second half.

“I was definitely ready to go. But it was something new, we tried it and I like it. May be seeing that a lot more now,” Towns laughed and said.

Two plays by Towns certainly stuck out in the second half.

The first came with just under six minutes to play and UK clinging to a 56-49 lead — the Cats had been up 18 points with 18 minutes to play. Georgia missed and Towns came down with the rebound in the midst of three Georgia defenders. Often when that happens, he has had the ball taken away. This time he stayed strong with the ball and got an outlet pass made that led to a score by Devin Booker.

That prompted Calipari, who often is more critical of Towns than any other player, to come on the court to tell Towns he was “proud” of him for that play.

“You don’t hear that much often,” Towns smiled and said. “I’m just glad that all these days of working out, practicing and having great practices, having great workouts, has come to the forefront. I’m putting a lot of things together and I’m just having a ball playing.

“I’m glad I was able to make that hustle play for the team. I don’t have to be recognized for what I do, I just want to get the W (win). It was cool to be recognized, but I’m happy with it helping us get this W.”

The second play came with 1 minute, 32 seconds to play and UK leading only 63-58. Kentucky went to Towns and he maneuvered inside the lane to score on a left-handed shot. He said point guard Andrew Harrison, who probably had his best game at UK with 23 points and seven assists, wisely passed to him after getting in the lane.

“We were all getting ready to rebound but Andrew got stopped by two more people. Andrew dished the ball to me. I just saw a lane open and tried to make something happen,” Towns said. “I was blessed to have made the shot and have the opportunity, but it’s one of those things where the ball came to me and it was my time to try and do something for this team and I’m glad I was able to capitalize. Every day, it’s just, you don’t see the ball go to the freshman.”

However, Calipari doesn’t see the 7-foot Towns as just any freshman. Not only is he projected as a possible top five pick in the June NBA draft, but Calipari has said he wants him to be the nation’s best big man when tournament play starts.

Has that praise/challenge changed Towns’ approach?

“I think that in these last three games, I think that a lot of people have realized how much more aggressive I am at trying to score the basketball,” Towns said. “ (I’m) just trying to put a lot of things together and I see it’s working. I’m hitting a lot of shots right now and that’s a testament to hard work.

“I’m putting a lot of hours in the gym and I’m just glad that everything’s coming together, and not just for me. It’s never about my individual success; it’s about the team’s success, and I’m happy that I’m able to contribute to these W’s and help my teammates and help my brothers accomplish their goals, too.”
    Comments 1 Comment
      dan_bgblue -
      Kentucky coach John Calipari said Lyles, who had seven second-half rebounds, “played good” in the win.
      Might want to edit the name Lyles and replace it with Townes. ;-)
  • KSR Twitter Feed