Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Time for a Cauley-Stein Update

Cauley-Stein update: Junior forward Wille Cauley-Stein is the first player in Kentucky basketball history with 200 or more blocked shots and 100 or more steals, something he accomplished Saturday in his 85th career game.

Kentucky coach John Calipari says the junior center is playing well but needs to do more offensively. He is averaging 9.1 points per game and shooting 56 percent from the field, but he’s taking only six shots per game. He has 35 blocked shots and a team-high 32 steals and averages a team-high 6.7 rebounds per game.

“He's really – he's like having a sixth defender out there. And our pick and roll defense is really good based on the fact that we can switch with him. Our bigs are getting better. Karl (-Anthony Towns) and Dakari (Johnson) —Dakari's even better than Karl. Trying to get Marcus Lee up to where Willie is, which is hard because he's unusual,” said Calipari.

Calipari said he would like to see more offensive rebounding from Cauley-Stein along with other things.

“Catching it three or four feet from the goal, get fouled. Right now he's made 85 percent of his last free throws, the last five, six games, whatever that is. So get fouled. Go in there and ball fake, get fouled. He's working on a better base, being stronger,” Calipari said.
    Comments 2 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      He is the best 7' tall defender I have ever seen. I often watch an entire game just concentrating on him on defense when he is on the floor. His athletic ability is flat extraordinary. Add a little more offense to his game and he will have a true shot at the #1 draft pick if he wants to play pro ball. No way to know if he wants to do that or work for NASA.
      Jimcats -
      Willie is a phenomenal athlete with a very rare set of abilities. Most young athletes are willing to give it all for the possibility to make one if those ridiculous NBA salaries. Willie is hard to understand and I'm sometimes of the opinion that even he doesn't understand himself very well. Or know what he really wants out of life. But I think he'll do what makes Willie happiest. The life of a pro athlete is hard, but fortunately for them, they can make enough money in a very few years to have wealth for a lifetime--if they manage it with any reasonableness at all.

IMO if Willie goes pro, he won't stay as long as possible as most do. He'll be an interesting free spirit to watch, no matter where he goes or what he does.
  • KSR Twitter Feed