Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Booker continues hot streak

By LARRY VAUGHT

COLUMBIA, S.C. — After having his hot 3-point streak stopped in a win over Vanderbilt, Kentucky freshman Devin Booker returned to the way he had been scoring in Saturday’s 58-43 win over South Carolina.

Booker was 6-for-9 from the field, including 2-for-4 from 3-point range, and had a game-high 18 points for No. 1 Kentucky.

The freshman was 20-for-28 from 3-point range in a seven-game stretch going into the Vanderbilt game before missing his only 3-point try and scoring just six points, his lowest output in the last nine games.

South Carolina coach Frank Martin moaned when noting that the Gamecocks had to face Booker again in Rupp Arena later this season. However, he also said Booker has the advantage of having sophomore Aaron Harrison on the team so that the “burden of being great is not on his shoulders every day” this season.

Martin recalled the game-winning shots Harrison hit in last year’s NCAA Tournament

“He has a guy in front of him at practice every day that understands what it takes,” said Martin. “But God, he is good. He is big. If you do not get to him, he just elevates and shoots. If you get to him, he takes one or maybe two dribbles and jumps over top of you and makes that shot.

“But as special as he is, the burden is not on his shoulders. He has help, so that allows him to be more comfortable.”

It also helps that freshman point guard Tyler Ulis seems to have an uncanny knack for knowing how to spot Booker when he is open.

“We are really close,” Ulis said. “We have a great chemistry on and off the court. I try to find him. He gets the job done. If I need an outlet, he will make the shot.”

Booker said his hot 3-point shooting streak opened other parts of his offense.

“Me going on this little streak opened it up for me,” Booker said. “Teams have to play me closer. I use a head fake, dribble and try to get others involved.”

Booker’s only 3-point try against Vanderbilt on Tuesday was an air ball. But Booker corrected that notion after Saturday’s win

“It was not an air ball. It was tipped. Most people don’t know that. But it’s all good,” he smiled and said.

Booker, who got a small cut over his eye during the game, said he didn’t mind coach John Calipari calling him out after his play against Vanderbilt.

“I feel that is a coach’s job,” Booker said. “You can’t let somebody feel like they can take over.”
  • KSR Twitter Feed