Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Willis needs to step on the gas to play more

By LARRY VAUGHT

Sophomore Derek Willis got a chance to play at Alabama and Calipari said Monday he’s “got to really step on the gas” if he wants to play more.

“And it's hard when you haven't been playing to come in and spend extra time and not know if you're gonna play or not,” Calipari said. “It's one thing if you know you're one of those 10 and you're playing. It's another thing if you're one of 10 or 11 or 12 and you don't know if you're gonna play. It's a hard thing, especially for a young guy.

“But Dom (Hawkins) gives us that unbelievable energy that unit needs. Now he's not bringing it or something I look at this and I say Derek's better and Derek's earned time in practice, then it'll be Derek. Everybody was ecstatic for Dom and then they were ecstatic for Derek last game.

“No, I didn't put him in the first rotation (against Alabama) because I didn't think he was ready for that. But I put him in the next rotation. And then in the second half, we kind of got out of whack and I just was more or less trying to finish the game. But they both have done great."

Willis, a 6-9 forward with 3-point shooting range, was 0-for-2 from the field with two turnovers and one assist at Alabama. However, he said Monday he was glad to get the chance to play but was nervous.

“I was a little tense out there. I haven’t really gotten a lot of experience in the games this year, other than like the beginning of the season, and I went out there and just tried to do like a million different things. My mind was all worried about everything else really but the game,” he said.

Willis has played in only nine of UK’s 17 games and been in for just 59 minutes despite the December injury to junior Alex Poythress that has him sidelined for the rest of the year.

Freshman Trey Lyles said Willis has played well in limited minutes.

“He practices with us every day, so he just had to get his opportunity to go out there and play and that’s what he did the other day. He did well,” Lyles said. “He has to get back focused, just try to stay focused. We’re his teammates, we’re here for him. We try to keep him up in practice — him and Dom(inique Hawkins) both.

“We’re always cheering for him. We always want them to do the best. When they get the chance to play we love seeing it. We’re always cheering for them and we want the best for them. I just felt like he was out there playing, doing what he usually does. He didn’t make any mistakes that I could see, and he played well with the time he was given.”

Willis said Calipari told him to “just feed the post” more than anything at Alabama.

“I was just really having a problem like calming down and just trying to relax and I’ve never really had that. But I was just trying to feed the post and help the guys in the middle,” Willis said.

He admitted playing so little can be difficult.

“I mean those two minutes, or however long I played, I feel like that’s just getting me warm. I’ve got to make the most of it while I’m in there I guess,” Willis said.

During UK’s exhibition trip to the Bahamas in August, Willis got extended playing time because Willie Cauley-Stein and Lyles did not play due to injuries.

“It was a little bit more of freewheeling type of basketball, which he’s really good at because of his athleticism and the way he can pass the ball. It’s hard, but we’re working with everybody and we’ll continue to work with him. It’ll come to him. That’s for sure,” assistant coach John Robic said Monday.

“The Bahamas was good. It was just like, it was in the beginning of the season, I mean we had two people out. Now we have two really good players who are playing now, and it just — a lot changed,” Willis said.

Robic said Willis needs to get his edge back. Willis did not disagree.

I mean I’m trying to be self-critical about everything right now, and I think just be more focused, just show that I really want to be here and I don’t think, being honest, I’ve (done) that,” Willis said.

He says he’s not sure why he’s done that.

“Just kind of fallen out with the game. I don’t know. Just got to get back into it — get more motivated I guess,” he said.

He said it was “kind of weird” adjusting to his role.

“I mean, you go your whole life playing and then you’re just not playing as much, so I don’t know. Just kind of fallen out of the game, just don’t know what to do really, just looking for answers,” he said. “I’m just trying to really find an answer of what to do. I mean I’ve asked like a lot of people, talked to them about it, and really getting the same thing: just get in the gym more and be around the game more I guess.”

He’s talked to his father, friends, girlfriend. He’s met with Calipari. He said the coach told him to get in the gym more and Willis admitted he was often one of the “first people out” once practice ended.

Robic said it was important for Willis to recognize he had to change his mindset to play more.

“It was good to see him get in the other day. He did some good things. I know he had a couple turnovers and didn’t make a shot, but he really fed the post well,” Robic said. “It’s hard being that 11th or 12th guy. Coach tells them to be ready. You never know when it’s going to be your turn, both he and Dominique (Hawkins).

“Dominique stepped up the last game (against Missouri) and he played and played well. We’re just reiterating to Derek to keep putting the extra work in, bide your time, and know that when we look down the bench and we need you that you have to be ready to go.”

Willis believes that will happen, too. He denied transfer rumors over the summer and said “God no” when asked if he ever questioned being at UK.

“I’m going to stay here four years, regardless. I love this place,” Willis said. “I’ll get a chance. I’ve just got to like turn it on. I know I can play. Everyone else knows I can play, and so I’ve just got to turn it on, kick it into gear. I haven’t (done) that yet.”
  • KSR Twitter Feed