Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Vitale, Williams agree- Rhythm trumps platoon

By LARRY VAUGHT

Year after year, ESPN analyst Dick Vitale has praised coach John Calipari. But he has not been a fan of Calipari’s platoon system this year and said during Tuesday’s UK-Missouri game that he told Calipari players could not get a “rhythm offensively” by going in an out so much.

Calipari took a playful jab at Vitale during a halftime interview with ESPN’s Shannon Spake.

“Five in, five out. Hasn’t hurt our rhythm,” Calipari said. “I know Dickie V, who got fired as a coach by the way, is talking about rhythm. Hasn’t hurt our rhythm.”

Vitale took the jab the right way, and fired back when the second half started.

“Taking a shot at me. I got fired … I’m undefeated! I got a better record than him on TV for 36 years! And I’ll disagree with him again. It hurts (Kentucky) offensively. Let them match up with the great ones, the Virginias, the Dukes, and play those platoons. He won’t use the platoons! I love John, though. He’s right —I did get fired,” Vitale said.

However, Vitale got the final word.

“And he’s right, I did get fired and I’m here on TV. But let me remind him, he got fired by the Nets! Don’t forget about that,” Vitale said.

ESPN analyst Jay Williams sided with Vitale during an ESPN teleconference Wednesday.

He said Vitale continued “to show how great he is” and that in the “little tiff” between the coach and Vitale, he would have to back his partner.

“I think guys need to find rhythm,” Williams said.
  • KSR Twitter Feed