Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Newman does it all in 79-71 McCracken County Mustang Madness Win

By: LARRY VAUGHT

PADUCAH — When Chicago Currie geared its defense to stop Malik Newman, it was nothing the Mississippi guard had not seen before.

So even though he was often double team, and sometimes triple teamed, he still scored 34 points in Friday’s 79-71 win at the McCracken County Mustang Madness here.

That’s why Newman, ranked by many as the nation’s No. 1 guard in the 2015 recruiting class, still managed 34 points on 10-for-23 shooting from the field and 6-for-15 from 3-point range — including several from NBA range and beyond.

“I do credit their coaching staff and players. They did play good defense on me,” said Newman. “But I work on that deep 3 a lot. That is a shot you have to be able to take and make because of way defenses play me. I get double and triple teamed, so you have to stretch the defense.”

Callaway coach David Sanders said Newman, a top recruiting target of Kentucky, has seen “every defense possible” this season.

“I laughed because the only thing they hadn’t tried was playing him straight up and last three teams in Mississippi played straight up and he had 140 points in three games. He has seen it all and played through it all,” Sanders said. “He is one of the rare kids you get who doesn’t have a weakness. He can handle it. He is a good shooter from outside. He has a midrange game. He can get to the basket and dribble right or left. He has a great shot making it on the next level.”

Newman had 10 points in the first quarter despite not scoring for almost five minutes to open the game.

“We were a little delayed getting to the gym. He didn’t even warm up. He said he wanted to get here early tomorrow. We just got thrown off our time, but he is one of those kids who will be ready,” Sanders said.

Newman managed just three points the second quarter, but said it was not a big worry.

“Coach just told me to keep playing and not worry,” Newman said. “Coach knew what I was capable of and kept me motivated and we just executed the second half.”

He got 21 points in the second half and buried three deep 3-pointers in the fourth quarter when his team rallied to take the lead for keeps.

“He can shoot it from deep and not just shoot it, but play from deep. He can make all kind of plays from deep. That is why he is so hard to guard. He covers so much of the floor and can pull up any time and shoot. I have tried to guard guys that shoot from that deep and it is not easy,” Sanders, who played at Mississippi, said.

Sanders said hitting 25-foot shots are part of Newman’s game.

“He does that and is really good off the dribble. During the Christmas tournament he probably hit five or six ever game. One game he had 40 points in 17 minutes and most were from long range. When he is in a groove,I have not seen many like him. Coaches from Bill Self to John Calipari have told me he is a rare breed and they have seen lot of players,” Sanders said.

The coach says he is not only the best guard in the country, but the best player.

“I know other guys can play but I am watching NBA or even college and a guy like Devin Booker, there is no substitute for shooting. He can knock down open shots. That is a rare commodity and it’s only going to be easier for him in college playing with other great players,” Sanders said.

Kansas coach Bill Self watched Newman play Friday night and Kentucky coach John Calipari was at Saturday’s game.

“Recruiting is still the same with me,” Newman, who has yet to take an official visit, said.

He said he was not surprised Thursday that Cleveland forward Carlton Bragg, another UK target, picked Kansas.

“Kansas does a really good job developing big men and him being a stretch four and guy who can score the ball, that is a good decision for him,” Newman said.

He said Kansas is a “great team with players who are really good” and knows Self could help him reach his goals.

He also said “everything looks good right now” with Kentucky.

“But to be honest everything looking good with every school. It’s Kentucky, so you know how that goes,” Newman said. “I have been paying attention to them and a lot of college basketball. Those guys are really rolling right now.”

He said he has to pay attention to the number of guards UK has on the roster. The Cats have signed Isaiah Briscoe and Charles Matthews and have freshmen Tyler Ulis and Devin Booker along with sophomores Aaron and Andrew Harrison on the roster now.

“That is something you have to pay attention to because those guys can play just like I can play. It’s not like I could just go in right away and start and play the whole game. It is important to making my decision knowing who is on the roster,” Newman said to explain why he’s in no rush to pick a final school.

He still talks about once a week to Booker, a Mississippi product.

“We talk about the way he is playing and the way I am playing,” Newman said. “Nothing really recuriting wise. Just things like that.”

He says he likes the way Calipari develops guards.

“But there is not too much you can’t like about Kentucky right now,” Newman, who says he will also weigh how teams do in the NCAA Tournament in his decision, said.

He admits fans at the Marshall County Hoop Fest in December — he had 42 points in one game — and those here have impressed him.

“I know for a fact this will be something I remember even if I don’t choose Kentucky because the fans down here are crazy. They showed me some love for sure and I appreciate that,” he said.
  • KSR Twitter Feed