Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Cauley-Stein sees Ole Miss game as good for Kentucky

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Willie Cauley-Stein says Kentucky’s overtime win over Mississippi Tuesday was “really good” for the No. 1 Wildcats.

“That’s how it is every time you step on the floor, especially in our league. Everybody in our league can play. You’re not going to have blowout games anymore. You’re going to have tough games like that every time you step out,” said Cauley-Stein after the 89-86 victory that opened Southeastern Conference play for UK.

He had 12 rebounds, including three in overtime, along with seven points on 3-for-8 shooting, four blocks and three steals. He also had five of UK's 10 turnovers.

Cauley-Stein said it was not “realistic” to expect for Kentucky to continue dominating teams the way it has most of this season.

“We’re all Division I athletes. We all have the same goals. We’re all here for a reason,” Cauley-Stein said. “Every time you step out there you have to take that into consideration. They’re the same people. They’re the same type of players. They’re going to do the same things you’re going to try to do so you have to try to play more than them. You have to try to outdo them. Today they outdid us. That’s why the score was the way it was.”

However, Cauley-Stein said not to forget that UK did what it took late to win the game.

“Rebounding and playing tough, playing through adversity,” he said. “I mean we haven’t played a game in what, probably two weeks. First game back, we knew it was going to be rough like that. First SEC game, it’s hype. It’s going to be a wake-up call. We haven’t had a game in so long. It’s good to get back out there. That’s what it’s all about.”

Here’s more of what Cauley-Stein had to say after the win:

Question: What did he learn from this game?
    Cauley-Stein: “We have to make plays like we did. We made plays when it counted, and that comes from being a vet-oriented team and having guys willing to sacrifice what normally they would do. All the stuff we’ve been taught all season long comes into play at that time. That’s what you practice for. Those are the moments you practice for.”

Question: Does he believe it fires up other SEC teams when they hear people saying UK could go undefeated?
    Cauley-Stein: “No doubt. I would. I would feel like I’m going to go out there and show them that they’re not going to beat us. That proves it right there. That game we just had proves it that it doesn’t matter who you’re playing. This league is so tough. It’s ridiculous.”

Question: What should the team have learned from this game?
    Cauley-Stein: “We learned a couple things. One, every time we step on the floor, the other team is not going away. We go up 18 – whatever we did – and they’re right back in it two minutes later. That’s how it is. That’s how it’s going to be every game we come out here. Especially the young guys, I heard them talking in the locker room, like ‘Dude, that was so crazy.’ That’s how it is every time. Now they get it. Now they’re going to understand it. Every time we go out there that team is going to go out of its mind. No matter who you play, you’re playing against Kentucky, at Kentucky, they’re going to play out of their minds because of the hype about it.”

Question: Why was Mississippi successful in rebounding against UK?
    Cauley-Stein: “Long rebounds. They shot all jumpers. At that point it’s kind of 50-50. All of our guys are underneath the basket and they’re shooting jumpers, then they get chances to get long boards.”

Question: Can other teams use quickness against Kentucky?
    Cauley-Stein: “I think we’re just as quick. It’s just a will to do it. Everybody on the team has to have the will to do the extra effort. The same thing we’re learning is how to do extra effort plays. How to do the little stuff all the time.”

Question: How impressed was he with Ole Miss’ foul shooting?
    Cauley-Stein: “They’re almost an 80 percent free throw shooting team. Every time they get a foul you’re like, ‘There’s two points. There’s two points.’ And when they miss you’re like, ‘We lucked out, because that’s probably two points every time you foul them.’ That’s one of the biggest things coming into the game, take away the elbow — them playing on the elbow and then don’t let them get to the free-throw line. We didn’t execute that very well.”

Question: What does this game show?
    Cauley-Stein: “Just another point that our league is really good and has really good players in it, and every time you step on the floor you’re going to get everybody’s best.”
  • KSR Twitter Feed