Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• SEC Coaches: Kentucky "magnificent;" quest to go undefeated good for SEC

By: LARRY VAUGHT

From LSU coach Johnny Jones’ perspective, Kentucky’s quest for an unbeaten regular season under coach John Calipari — something that has not happened since 1976 — is “great” for the Southeastern Conference.

“I think Cal has done a tremendous job building a program and great identity not just for Kentucky but for league as a whole,” said Jones Monday on the SEC coaches teleconference. “For coaches, that is not a great story line. We all have a different agenda.

“I am sure their quest to do that and how they have played early this season against some of the toughest competition, that certainly has to be their goal. A team that talented, you have got to put something like that out there in front of them. I am sure that is something that Cal feels he has to hang in front of them. I think their team is great for our league.

“I am hopeful if they have a setback it will not be a bad thing for the league, but will say a lot about our league that someone maybe had the ability to give them a setback before the league is over.”

First-year Tennessee coach Donnie Tyndall says Kentucky deserves all the credit it is receiving and knows the unbeaten season quest is a national story.

“I think it is good not just for our league but for college basketball. They are No. 1 in the country and rightfully so. That attention is good not just for Kentucky, but for our league,” the Tennessee coach said. “Our entire league is getting better and better. Kentucky is going to be the most talked about team in the SEC for a reason.

“”But it is hard to go undefeated in any league. There are good teams and if you don’t come to play, you could get beat. They will have a tough challenge to go undefeated, but as good as they are I certainly think it is possible.”

Florida coach Billy Donovan watched the first half of Kentucky’s win over Kansas because the Gators also played the Jayhawks. He was impressed by what he saw of UK.

“Obviously in that game they were incredibly dominant and played at such a high level,” Donovan said. “Their size at the basket was really difficult for Kansas. Their ability to play a number of people ...”

Donovan says he’s not seen enough of Kentucky to speculate on how the Wildcats match up nationally with every team, but he’s impressed.

“I would say of all the film I have watched of different teams we have played against, I would say Kentucky is definitely head and shoulders above everyone else,” Donovan said.

South Carolina coach Frank Martin thinks the overall SEC is better than it gets credit for nationally. However, he also said UK is “magnificent” based on what he’s seen.

“They are defending as well as any team in the country and as well as any team I have been in a long time,” Martin said.

Martin said he doesn’t get “wrapped up” in naming favorites and says UK coach John Calipari is right to be concerned about daily improvement and “cleaning up” areas that will make UK better.

“They have experience. They understand,” Martin said. “Cal doesn’t get the credit he deserves for the job he does with freshmen every year.”

He joked that Calipari seemed to have 20 scholarship players and up to 12 freshmen. But he says returning players that played for a national championship last year have made it easier for UK’s four freshmen because the veterans “grew up” last year.

Vanderbilt coach Kevin Stallings thinks the SEC is deeper with good teams, but none like Kentucky.

“Obviously Kentucky has sort of separated themselves in the non-conference from the rest of the world,” Stallings said. “Not just our conference, but everybody else as well.”

Stallings said the quest for a perfect season is an “exciting story line” for college basketball, not just UK or the SEC

“But that is a lot easier said than done. I suppose if anybody could do it, they could do it,” Stallings said.

He says that story line really won’t change the impact Kentucky already has in the SEC.

“Gyms are more electric when they walk in any way. That part wouldn’t change. The media coverage changes when they walk in the gym already,” Stallings said. “it wouldn’t take an undefeated season for it to be like that. I don’t know that would represent a big difference.”

Auburn coach Bruce Pearl says UK’s success is great for the SEC because of the quality non-conference wins the Wildcats had.

“Kentucky has a more veteran team that has been able to do work in the non-conference,” Pearl said.

He says during the “one-and-done” years at UK under Calipari, UK has sometimes lost games in November and December to teams it would have beaten by February or March as the team gained experience.

“Now they are beating them all,”  Pearl said
    Comments 1 Comment
      kingcat -
      Great read Larry.

At first glance Donovan seemed hesitant to compliment UK in the way most do.
  • KSR Twitter Feed