Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Will Vince Marrow Stay with Mark Stoops?

By: LONNY DEMAREE

When you have a coach such as UK's recruiting coordinator and tight ends coach that is hot property it's pins-and-needles time for the Stoops and the BBN. Marrow is a crack recruiter of high school talent in Ohio and has had a good measure of success bring some top Ohio talent to the University of Kentucky. Now with the hiring of Jim Harbaugh at the University of Michigan, Marrow has become a hot property for the Wolverines rebuilding project.

Marrow who played with Stoops at Cardinal Mooney High School in Youngstown, Ohio has stated that he is with Stoops for the duration but we know money and tradition talk and - - walks. Now the ball is in Barnhart's court and will he sweeten the need for Marrow to stand by his proclamation.

A Marrow exit would create a back to square-one situation as far as the state of Ohio recruiting connection that presently exist.

In the event that the coach stays at UK he like any coach would want to strengthen his coaching resume. That is something he hasn't been able to accomplish at UK. Marrow came to UK as a successful coach at Nebraska and coaching experience of tight ends at differing levels of professional football. Having said that we have to acknowledge his recognition of a quality tight end.

Both seasons at UK Marrow has declared tight ends Anthony Kendrick and Steven Borden perhaps having next level talent. So one has to speculate why that didn't come to fruition in 2013 with Kendrick? And in 2013 and '14 nine combined yielded Bowden seven receptions and one touchdown. Neal Brown consistently stated they needed to recruit tight ends inferring they didn't have one that could contribute to wins.

One question arises why a tight end was thrown to in the end zone for a possible score? Except for the one aforementioned occasion of a touchdown where did that tight end talent go? Who decision was it for slot receiver Joey Herrick to get those chances equaling nine career receptions. Granted Herrick is a dependable route runner with good hands. This relegated the tight ends to on-the-line tight ends.

So it gives that in addition to his recruiting prowess Marrow will be on a mission to show his coaching ability. Until then we will assume that it's the Jimmy's and Joe's and not the X's and O's.
    Comments 26 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      I have thought about the lack of production from the TE slot since Tamme left and I still do not know why they are not more of the passing game than they are. Is it......

A. Lack of talent at that spot. Can't run routes, can't catch the ball?
      B. Plays not being run that involve them in the passing game because the O line deficiencies require them to stay home to help block?
      C. Quarterbacks locking in on wide receivers and ignoring the TE?
      D. Quarterbacks ignoring the TE because they typically run routes over the middle and the QB can't complete that type of pass to save his life?
      E. Something else?
      Darrell KSR -
      Interesting comments.
      Terry Blue -
      I'm pretty sure that this is Vince's first full time gig for a college program. I think he was just part time or a G.A at Nebraska. We did promote him to recruiting coordinator last year and gave him a considerable raise. It is my understanding that part of Stoops contract was more money to give assistants so imagine soon we'll hear about raises being given out to the staff including Marrow. I think he'll stay but who knows. Who would have thought John Chavis would have left LSU for A&M?
      Kacat -
      We paid him a 100K increase last year. I'm sure we will give him another one but MI is one of the it programs to be with.
      BarristerCat -
      For whatever either of these things are worth, there were some rumblings in the Twitterverse tonight that Marrow had turned UM down. Best I can tell it started with someone holding himself out as a "national sports blogger" with no real affiliation to any site. Matt Jones now saying his sources say it's not true and Marrow has yet to make any decision.

We'll probably never know, but Jones came with the denial so fast that I have to suspect it came directly from Peevy/Stoops.
      Darrell KSR -
      Thanks for the update. Sure hope we hold onto him.
      BarristerCat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      Thanks for the update. Sure hope we hold onto him.
      Me too. Just my WAG here, but even though I know nothing about that blogger, I have a hard time believing somebody would see Vince Marrow as an opportunity to make a name for himself by guessing on "info" and hoping to get it right. So, I'm starting to think we might see something break on this front soon.
      Darrell KSR -
      Somebody may have posted this, but good John Clay article on it.

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/12/31/3...marrow-to.html
      Terry Blue -
      Evidently MIchigan folks think he will interview today and will accept the job
      catmanjack -
      And everyone wonders why it's so difficult for UK to build
      a winner in football.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      I have thought about the lack of production from the TE slot since Tamme left and I still do not know why they are not more of the passing game than they are. Is it......

A. Lack of talent at that spot. Can't run routes, can't catch the ball?
      B. Plays not being run that involve them in the passing game because the O line deficiencies require them to stay home to help block?
      C. Quarterbacks locking in on wide receivers and ignoring the TE?
      D. Quarterbacks ignoring the TE because they typically run routes over the middle and the QB can't complete that type of pass to save his life?
      E. Something else?
      My take on our TE situation is that we have to have a blocking tight end. Up until this past season, we only had small receivers. Most were not suited for downfield blocking of Linebackers, corners or safeties. One reason you see these spread or zone read offenses do so well in the passing game is that most have tall receivers who can downfield block or out jump the corners on passes.
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
      Evidently MIchigan folks think he will interview today and will accept the job
      They're wrong.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by ShoesSwayedBlue View Post
      They're wrong.
      Man, I hope so. UK has a lot of momentum going the last two years. Losing Vince Marrow would be a setback.

Strangely enough, if Michigan names someone else, I think it adds to the UK momentum.
      BarristerCat -
      It's all over Twitter that Marrow met with Michigan today and received an offer to join their staff. Now he's apparently thinking it over. I've gotta say, I don't love the fact that there was an actual meeting.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
      dan_bgblue -
      I've gotta say, I don't love the fact that there was an actual meeting.
      It is a bit more disturbing than not attending a meeting, but often times such a meeting winds up being a professional courtesy. It is important for an assistant like Marrow to keep a good relationship with a coach like Harbaugh, and the meet does look better for Harbaugh than it would for Marrow to blow him off and not show up.
      BarristerCat -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      It is a bit more disturbing than not attending a meeting, but often times such a meeting winds up being a professional courtesy. It is important for an assistant like Marrow to keep a good relationship with a coach like Harbaugh, and the meet does look better for Harbaugh than it would for Marrow to blow him off and not show up.
      Yeah, I get all that, but I wanted him to blow Harbaugh off and not show up.

CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by BarristerCat View Post
      Yeah, I get all that, but I wanted him to blow Harbaugh off and not show up.

Yep, going to move along here, I don't see any joke at all here...

I'm OK with him listening, it's the smart move and I want smart coaches, but like you it would sure be better if he just said "no way, love it here too much to even have an interview." Dumb, but we'd like it more.
      Darrell KSR -
      Per Michigan's 247 site, Harbaugh has offered Marrow.
      catmanjack -
      If Vince leaves how much will that set UK back and is there a list to
      replace him.
      Terry Blue -
      Who knows and I'm sure Stoops has folks in mind
  • KSR Twitter Feed