Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Andrew Harrison struggling, but teammates console, defend his contributions

By: LARRY VAUGHT

LOUISVILLE — As important as it was for Kentucky's season to have four freshmen play so well against Louisville Saturday in the 58-50 win, it also had to be a bit troubling for the Wildcats to see sophomore point guard Andrew Harrison struggle the way he did.

He was 1-for-6 from the field — his only field goal was a late 3-pointer that basically iced the game — and most of his misses were not close. He had six turnovers in only 20 minutes along with four assists and three rebounds.

He could just never get in rhythm and Louisville's physical play kept him out of kilter. Normally he can use his size and muscle to get to the rim, but he could not against Louisville's physical play.

After the game, Kentucky coach John Calipari defended his point guard and knew he would be compared to the way freshman Tyler Ulis played (14 points, two assists, no turnovers).

“They’re not machines. They’re not computers. I told him, ‘Man, I love you. I got your back. You’re my point guard. Stop it,'" Calipari said about Harrison. "He’s down. Look, these kids – it’s not fair being at Kentucky and what goes with it, and what the expectations are and then everything you do is analyzed. It’s not fair.

"But it’s also not fair when the season ends and you’re in the green room (as a top NBA draft pick). Half the team. That’s not fair, either. So I tell them all the time, ‘You want to do this? This is what it is.’"

But what it is for Harrison is a continuing problem. In the last four games, he's 6-for-30 from the field. In the last three games, he has 13 turnovers.

Against Kansas, he was 3-for-5 from the field and had 10 points, four assists and just two turnovers in 19 minutes. Against Texas, he was 2-for-8 from the field and had five points, four assists and one turnover in 24 minutes. Against North Carolina, he was 1-for-4 from the field but 9-for-10 at the foul line and had 11 points, five assists and three turnovers in 25 minutes. Against UCLA in 23 minutes, he had eight assists but also had four turnovers and was 3-for-8 from the field.

"Andrew didn’t play as well today but Andrew hit a huge 3 that basically ended the game," Calipari said after the game. "Andrew took us to the national championship game last year. Andrew did.

"So what I have is I have two terrific point guards, who I can play together if I choose. If Andrew’s playing really well, Tyler will maybe not play as much or I’ll put him as a wing. Tyler’s playing well or out of his mind. That’s what good about this."

Ulis is playing better than well. He was brilliant Saturday taking care of the ball, running the offense against pressure defense and making shots. He was 5-for-8 from the field with no turnovers in 26 minutes despite catching an elbow that opened a cut just above his right eye. If it bothered him, it never showed because he did not slow down.

Andrew Harrison was visibly upset at the game's end over his play. He was consoled on the bench by teammate Willie Cauley-Stein, a junior who had a so-so game for him with five points, six rebounds and three steals — but no blocks.

However, UK freshman Devin Booker said both Andrew Harrison and his brother, Aaron, do things to help him and Ulis that fans might not notice.

"They are always telling us things when they come out and we go in," Booker said. "They told us what to expect in this game. They do so much to help us and are happy when we play well."

So no moping when Andrew Harrison does not play well?

"He's a competitor, but he's our brother and wants our team to win more than anything. We all know that. None of us doubt that for a minute and we all also know what a great player he is and how important he is for our team," Booker said.
    Comments 1 Comment
      wes011 -
      I love the team unity!!!
  • KSR Twitter Feed