Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Matthews made himself a better player

By LARRY VAUGHT

Biancardi and Matthews

CHICAGO — Rather than pout over his lower recruiting ranking, ESPN analyst Paul Biancardi says Kentucky signee Charles Matthews did something few players do — he made himself a better player.

“I have seen improvement. He was highly ranked as a young player as a freshman and sophomore. We had him in our top (ESPN) 25, top 30 and as he got older he slipped in the rankings,” said Biancardi after watching Matthews get 17 points and 13 rebounds here Friday night as Sit Rita upset Simeon 51-46. “But it was not because of him so much as it was because as you get older there are more elite players.

“He is a top 50 prospect, which is still a tremendous place to be. But a lot of kids when they slip, they have an attitude or point fingers. He just went to work and got better. When you focus on improving versus trying to prove yourself, the results are much better.”

Kentucky coach John Calipari and assistants Kenny Payne and Barry Rohrssen were at the game — UK was in town already to play UCLA Saturday at the United Center — and got to see Matthews block four shots, make two steals and hand out two assists while playing all 32 minutes. He did have six turnovers and miss four of seven free throws.

“I am impressed with his outside shot and how he’s improving. But I loved him this summer in terms of handling the basketball, passing it, making decisions,” Biancardi said. “He is very versatile and highly productive. He just brings you so many touches and so many categories that let him contribute to winning. What more could you want as a coach? He has great size and is a great athlete.

“He never has to score to impact a game. He can handle the ball. He can make a simple back cut, grab a rebound and go, drive and kick. He is going to be a very good player at Kentucky and a guy that plans on being there for four years, which he will be. But he is a guy with a lot more room to grow.”

Biancardi compares Matthews to Darius Miller, an in-state player that was on UK’s 2012 national championship team and was a four-year player.

“I had a chance to coach Darius at the ABCD Camp a long time ago. Miller was a do-it-all guard-forward who had a pretty good jump shot, but his jump shot got better at Kentucky,” Biancardi said. “I see Charles getting better in terms of shooting the ball. He’s not as tall as Darius, but has the same kind of well-rounded game. He doesn’t get sped up. He plays with good pace and keeps getting better and Darius ended up in the NBA. Charles could be the same way.”

The ESPN analyst also thinks Matthews could make an impact at UK next year.

“I think Cal loves his productivity probably more than his potential right now because he is a guy that can come in and fit and play minutes as a freshman,” Biancardi said. “He has been battle tested. He played here for four years and started as a freshman. When he gets to Lexington it will be difficult for him and there is a huge learning curve, but he has been battle tested and he will fit in just fine.

“He gets after it defensively and he will have to get after it more to play for Cal. Look at the stats this year for Kentucky. They don’t let you breathe on offense. Matthews can use his size and length and quickness on defense. He has tremendous savvy on offense.”

Biancardi says games like the one against Simeon will help Matthews, too.

“The talent up in Chicago is as good as anywhere in the country in terms of basketball. This state produces so many Division I players. It is intense and competitive and that gets him ready for Kentucky,” Biancardi said. “Playing AAU basketball for Mean Streets prepares him for Kentucky basketball.

“However, there is no true preparation for that place. Mentally there is nothing like it. It’s going to be an adjustment and learning curve but he has a good solid foundation here at St. Rita and games like this can only help.”
  • KSR Twitter Feed