Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Harris wins Hornung, talks recruiting

By LARRY VAUGHT

LOUISVILLE — Madison Southern running back Damien Harris was thankful he received the Paul Hornung Award Wednesday given the state’s top high school football player by the Louisville Quarterback Club.

He says he’ll be even more relieved Jan. 9th when he makes his college football commitment during a ceremony at his high school in Berea. He has his choices down to Kentucky, Alabama and Ohio State.

“I still don’t know where I want to go yet,” said Harris. “Me and my family kind of came across that date together. It gives me a little more time to think about and see what is best for me, but also gives me a deadline so I can start moving on and getting ready for the next chapter of my life.”

Harris is the nation’s top-ranked high school running back in the 2015 recruiting class and Rivals.com ranks him as the 11th best player overall in the nation while ESPN has him ranked No. 31.

He rushed for 1,474 yards and 23 scores despite playing in less than seven games last season due to a knee injury. He is Kentucky’s second all-time leading scorer with 738 career points and also second in career touchdowns (122) and career rushing touchdowns (113). He ran for 2,621 rushing yards as a junior and during his career scored 42 points in a game three times. For his career Harris averaged 12.48 yards per carry and a touchdown every 4.7 carries.

Harris will in the Under Armour All-American Game in Florida in January and says he is training hard for that game now.

“I am trying to lift and get my physical strength back. I am trying to get my wind back,” he said. “It will be the best competition I have ever played against. I will have to run faster and harder to get away from defensive tackles that run a 4.5 (second 40-yard dash). But it’s great to get a chance to play against the best in the country.”

His mother, Lynn Harris, said trying to decide where he’ll play his college football is an overwhelming decision.

“I am so proud of him and seeing the work he has done to make his dreams come true pay off,” she said. “I am proud that no matter where he goes, he’s going to be a great education. But he’s got a hard choice to make. He likes all the coaches and schools.”

Madison Southern principal Brandon Phillips says it was a “very special experience to watch the best football player in Kentucky” the last few years because he had the ability to make a special play any time he got the football.

“There is no question Damien has just finished arguably one of the best football careers in the state,” Phillips said. “Prior to his injury this year, he was averaging 16.5 yards per carry and a touchdown every 3.7 carries. He did all that averaging 12 carries per game. He was the best in the state at maximizing his opportunities.”

Phillips said Harris put “Madison Southern on the map” and that he brought “pride and honor” to his town and school.

“Students and teachers are proud to say they know him,” Phillips said. “He is very looked up to in our community. I think Damien has a great gift for playing football but when you see his interaction with boys and girls who want his picture or a high five, I believe he has an even greater gift with young kids, and that is really special.”

Harris thanked his mother and said she “molded me” into the person he is.

“I take pride in people saying I am a better person than football player and I owe that to my mom and others,” he said. “I’ve had a great high school experience.

“I want to thank everyone who voted for me to win this prestigious award. There is a long list of great players who have won and I am thannkful to be on the list and pray and hope I can live up to the standard they have set. It was a tough season for me, but I know I am fortunate this was my first significant injury. I am just happy I got to make a comeback and now I am getting ready for the next level.”

Hornung presented the award to Harris and also arranged a congratulatoy phone call from Gale Sayers, who Hornung said was the “best running back of all time” and a friend from their NFL playing days.

“I wanted him to call because I told him this young man and a lot of the same abilities that he had,” Hornung said.
  • KSR Twitter Feed