Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• The three-point streak lives

By LARRY VAUGHT

LEXINGTON — The last time Kentucky did not have a 3-point goal in a game was Nov. 26, 1988, against Seton Hall in the Great Alaska Shootout.

That was long before any current Wildcat was even born and is the nation’s second longest 3-point streak at 909 behind UNLV. However, the last three games the Cats have flirted without making a 3-pointer.

Kentucky didn’t get a 3-pointer in Sunday’s 82-49 win over Eastern Kentucky until Aaron Harrison hit one in front of the UK bench with just 2 minutes, 57 seconds to play. Karl-Anthony Towns and Derek Willis both added 3’s as UK finished the game 3-for-13 from 3-point range after going 2-for-7 against Providence and 1-for-12 against Texas in the two previous games.

“Well, we would obviously like to make more. I think that the 3’s that we took, there may have been just a couple that weren't at the right time. Maybe forced a little bit,” said assistant coach John Robic. “It's just repetition and we'll knock them down when needed. I don't even know if the players knew, but the place got loud when Aaron hit the 3, good thing he was on the left side of the court (where he made clutch 3’s in the NCAA Tournament last year).”

Both Towns and Marcus Lee said after the game they had no idea about the 3-point streak.

“That sounds pretty impressive, 900 and something games. I really didn’t know about that but I’m glad we hit on,” Towns said.

“I actually had no idea until I asked somebody during the game why everybody was yelling for the 3. I was very lost, but I understand well to ask,” Lee said.

Trey Lyles said it was freshman teammate Devin Booker, who hit a 3 against Providence to keep the streak alive, that was talking about UK not having a trey late in the game.

“ At the end of the game he was telling us we had to hit one to keep the streak alive, and luckily we hit one after that,” Lyles said. “Devin was telling us in the huddle that we had to hit one this game.

“We’re definitely aware of it. Coach (Cal) talked to us about it the other day, saying we kept the streak going against Texas, so of course knowing that and having the crowd today, guys were very aware of it.”

Rupp Arena fans were more than a bit apprehensive as time ran off the clock Sunday and UK kept missing 3-pointers. Lyles even took two 3-pointers late in the game to try and break the streak.

“I was open, plus the streak was on the line, so I shot it but I missed. But it’s all right. My teammates came out and Aaron (Harrison) hit one and then Karl(-Anthony Towns) hit another one,” Lyles said.

He said players can “definitely” hear fans getting anxious about a 3-point goal.

“We take pride in that, and we’re trying to help them out and hit some in the game,” Lyles said. “It is weird, but out here in Rupp you expect the unexpected, so it’s not unusual I guess.”

Lee said the fans “get excited” about the streak.

“For something so small they pay attention to is really cool and it gets them into the game. So I’m just happy they know about it,” Lee said.

Lyles said the streak is important to the players, too.

“We don’t want to be the team who ends it,” Lyles, who had his first UK double-double with 10 points on 4-for-8 shooting and 10 rebounds. “I think it’s a little bit important, but not overwhelmingly. I just think we don’t want to be the team who ends the streak.”

Lyles also knows it is important for UK to shoot better from long range than it has been recently.

“We’re a good shooting team. We’ve been struggling lately from the field. Aaron and Devin the last couple games have been struggling. They’ve been in the gym and putting up shots, so it’s going to work out in the future and we’re going to start hitting shots consistently,” Lyles said.

Towns also has 3-point range even though he was 0-for-3 from long range before hitting his late trey Sunday.

“I think we all knew I had that somewhere in my arsenal, I just never brought it out. Sometimes I don’t always use all the tools in my toolbox. Today I tried to use at least one new one for the year,” Towns said.

But he also knew that it would be Harrison to get the 3 to keep the streak going.

“Who else would you expect to hit a big 3? C’mon, it’s Aaron,” Towns said.
  • KSR Twitter Feed