Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Cats regroup, overcome lack of defensive confidence to beat Columbia

By LARRY VAUGHT

LEXINGTON — Columbia had an offense that slowed the game down on Kentucky Wednesday and made it difficult for the No. 1 Wildcats before UK regrouped after giving up the game’s first 11 points and won 56-46.

“It’s kind of hard to play our style of basketball when they were trying ... the offense they were playing was really tough to guard, and it was just difficult for us to get in our rhythm,” said sophomore guard Aaron Harrison, who led UK with 14 points, three rebounds, three steals and three assists without making a turnover in 33 minutes of play.

“I think it was just tough to get going because of the way they played, and that’s not really how we’re used to playing defense, and I think that was a big part of it. “It’s just tough for us to get into our ... be confident defensively. (We) didn’t really get a lot of run-outs, unless we stole it off a pass. The style they played was just difficult for us. They just slowed it down. We weren’t really used to playing like that, couldn’t get into our defensive rhythm.”

Columbia also made five 3-pointers in the first half before finishing 8-for-25 from 3-point range compared to 2-for-17 for UK. Harrison was 1-for-5 from 3-point range and 6-for-15 overall.

“A lot of teams get excited when they play us and play well. It wasn’t really surprising,” Harrison said about Columbia’s first-half shooting.

Here’s more of what he had to say after Wednesday’s win.

Question: Was Andrew Harrison driving too much and looking for a foul call?
    Harrison: “Andrew being as big as he is, it’s hard for him to get a foul called on him when he’s going to the basket. They might be fouling him, but he’s bigger so it doesn’t really look like they’re fouling him. He’s just got to get used to that and play through it.”

Question: Could Tyler Ulis, who did not play due to an injury, helped UK’s defense?
    Harrison: “Of course. It was just, I think we all, Tyler (Ulis) and Devin (Booker) could’ve helped with that today.”

Question: Has his dad gave him any advice on his shooting since he has been struggling to make shots?
    Harrison: “My dad, he just says keep shooting. The shot will come.”

Question: Did not having Ulis and Booker in the platoon hurt the energy level?
    Harrison: “I don’t know. That’s the first time we’ve played like that this year, so we weren’t really used to it. And, like I just said, we played a team with a style of play we weren’t used to and that had something to do with our energy.”

Question: Will it be important to get Ulis and Booker back on Saturday against North Carolina?
    Harrison: “It’s very important. They’re part of our team and we’re playing a big game against a really good team.”

Question: What did he think of Trey Lyles play?
    Harrison: “Trey played with a lot of energy, attacked every rebound. I feel like he got every rebound, so (I’m) just proud of him. (He) played hard. He just gave a lot of energy. He always plays hard. I know he’s a little frustrated with his shot not falling, just like I am and a couple other guys on the team. But just to see him play hard even though he’s not knocking down shots shows a lot.”

Question: Is 3-point shooting a mental thing?
    Harrison: “I don’t think so. I’m still shooting it and letting it go, just making sure my legs are right. I think they’ll fall sooner or later.”

Question: Any chance he is thinking too much about the mechanics?
    Harrison: “You can’t really think about that during the game. I think it’s feeling good for the most part, and if it’s feeling good, being a shooter, you’ve just got to keep shooting it.”

Question: What does the game with North Carolina Saturday mean to him?
    Harrison: “It’ll be a lot more fun. A lot of energy. We’ll be ready to play.”

Question: How much does it help the team having Derek Willis?
    Harrison: “Derek’s a great player. He’s probably underrated, obviously, on our team, but Derek’s a great player. We all have confidence in him and know he can play.”
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post