Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Bragg an improved player and leader

]

By: LARRY VAUGHT

BENTON — With the game on the line, Kentucky recruiting target Carlton Bragg took over the game for Villa Angela St. Joseph of Cleveland at the Marshall County Hoop Fest Saturday night.

He scored on a power move inside and then in transition to break a 52-52 tie in a 60-54 win over Archbishop Carroll of Philadelphia and UNLV commit Derrick Jones.

Bragg had 25 points on 10-for-23 shooting from the field and 13 rebounds. He also had two assists, two steals and one blocked shot while playing all 32 minutes.

“I have changed a lot with my coaching staff in the last year,” said Bragg. T”hey run us to death. My conditioning has got a lot better from last year. I loved games like this that are so intense.”

He knew he had to take over at the end.

“I had to do that and be a leader,” Bragg said.

Villa Angela coach Babe Kwasniak anticipated that Bragg would play well before the game.

“He has been great in terms of leadership for us this year,” Kwasinak said. “He has been tring to do too much at times, but we are not a one-man show. He will go some place where they have players like Kansas, Kentucky, Illinois. I watch some kids play and wonder how they will make adjustments from taking 40 shots in high school and have to adjust to the college system. Carlton will be fine because we are team-oriented and he is team-oriented.”

Bragg said recruiting has not changed that much for him. Kansas coach Bill Self and Illinois coach John Groce both watched Bragg play as did Kentucky assistant coach Kenny Payne. UCLA is the other team in his top four.

“Everyone is coming at me hard waiting on my decision. There is no school in the lead. Everyone is just equal,” Bragg said.

He said he didn’t pay attention to those coaches and others that were watching his team play.

“I really don’t know who was here,” Bragg said.

He said again he would enjoy playing college basketball with five-star players Jaylen Brown and Brandon Ingram, both UK targets as well and went to Big Blue Madness as did Bragg. Kansas and UCLA are both on the final list for Brown and Ingram.

“(Rapper) Drake was there, and that made it even better (at Kentucky). The lifestyle around there is pretty good,” Bragg said.

He said he “loved” playing at the Hoop Fest just as he did at the McCracken County Mustang Madness last year.

“I love the fans here. They show me a lot of love and make me feel welcome,” he said.

He said those fans are what he likes best about UK.

“The fans, they show you so much love. The atmosphere is crazy. You notice that,” Bragg said.

He originally though location would be a factor in his college choice, but says that is not as important now.

“I am not saying location doesn’t matter, but it is not that big a deal,” Bragg said. “But it is going to be hard to make a decision. All the schools are good. That’s why I have no idea what I will do.”

He said recruiting “can sometimes be a distraction” but there is also a plus.

“There is motivation to also put in the hard work for the coaches,” he said.

That showed here Saturday night when he spent more time playing inside than he sometimes does.

“I wasn’t making jumpers, so why not go inside and help the team,” he said. “That got me going.”

He said it is “fair” to call him a better leader and overall player than a year ago when he first earned his UK scholarship offer.

“I have really worked on that a lot,” he said.
  • KSR Twitter Feed