Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Beating Back the Hype

By: LONNY DEMAREE

At this time of the season in the BBN there is a lot of blue cool-aid sloshing around, and a segment of realism coming from the more cautious one's. Make no mistake the prospects of the this Kentucky basketball team is off the charts.

At this time last season the BBN is shouting from the peak of Mount Everest a 40-0 season. That resonated so much so that even Coach Calipari was starting to buy into the the hype. Okay, burn me once shame on you and burn me twice shame on me. Consequently Cal is say little things like “We have a long way to go” while pointing out the not so obvious things they need to improve on to be what they can be.

Though Calipari is beating back the undefeated hype he is still say things like “They (his team) can be as good as they want to be.” Every player wants to undefeated. Now, along with the hype, coming from a segment of BBN is some paranoia. You hear from those quarters “Oh they are setting us up for a fall.” This is referring to the Duke game last evening when constantly there a reference to the most usual things Duke was doing in the Kohl Center of Wisconsin University. And in the same breath but Kentucky can do thus and such.

Calipari said they are 50-60 percent of their game offensively right now and 70-80 percent of their game defensively right now. Cal said he's had three Chicago guys that change the game Derek Rose, Anthony Davis, and Tyler Ulis. The latter is one that, as I been saying needs to be on the floor at various time when they are dead meaning nothing getting's done that Ulis has to be on the floor. His energy takes them to another level.

We asked Cal what is he looking for in that 40 percent he is missing offensively? He said – better screens; harder cuts; and better execution. And of that they should score off of most of those things. One thing he didn't emphasis is the fact they and particularly Aaron Harrison is not shooting the ball well from the outside. He is 8 for 32 of his last three point shots. The coach said that perhaps he could be in the gym more practicing shooting. “I'm not worried about my shooting because some of them are rimming out,” Aaron Harrison said. “They will start falling.” Aaron Harrison said he was very interested in Texas University when he was young “but it slowed down when I got older. They didn't show that much interest in me.”

One of the things that raises the hype meter and deservedly so Willie Cauley-Stein, Andrew Harrison, and Aaron Harrison have been selected to the post-season Naismith Award.

The Texas Longhorns coming into Rupp Arena tomorrow night will be a test for the Wildcats. “They have length, they have speed up and down the court, and they can score,” Cal said. Whatever the results of the game as Cal said in the post Providence game presser that this is just November 30.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Beating Back the Hype started by LonnyDemaree View original post
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post