Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Jackson to announce December 13

By: LARRY VAUGHT

He’s not ready to reveal quite yet where he’ll play his college football, but Woodford County junior Drake Jackson — the top-rated center in the 2016 recruiting class in some rankings — has decided to announce his college choice Dec. 13.

He posted on Twitter than Kentucky, Ohio State, Tennessee and Alabama are his final four school and he’ll commit during a ceremony at his house.

The 6-2, 290-pound Jackson, who went to the Auburn-Alabama game last weekend, has noted several times that Kentucky was his leader.

“I think a lot of guys know where they are going from the get-go,” said Jackson, who has already been invited to the 2016 U.S. Army All-American Bowl. “I like the attention, but I am not a guy who craves it. I want to get this over with and just do my own thing. It’s a tough decision, one I am still finalizing. But I want to go head and commit and start building a relationship with coaches and recruits.”

He says recruiting was not a distraction during his junior season.

“It’s a simple phone call once every other night. Not a problem,” he said. “Maybe if anything it motivates me. Or that’s how I see it.”

Jackson said offensive coordinator Neal Brown’s departure to become head coach at Troy will not make an impact on his decision.

“I like him and I’m close to him, but he is a guy I assumed would eventually work his way up to become a head coach,” Jackson said. “What would impact my decision would be if the offensive line coach (John Schlarman) or coach (Mark) Stoops left. I am real close with coach Schlarman and have a great relationship.

“He grew up in Kentucky, he is making good money. He is one guy that I don’t think will leave Kentucky. He’s very humble and I think he has his dream job now. The only way that might change is he had a chance to be offensive coordinator or head coach. I think to leave he would have to get fired and I don’t see that happening.”

Brown indicated earlier this week that he did not anticipate any Kentucky assistant coaches following him to Troy even though Schlarman had worked at Troy and was brought to UK by Brown.

Jackson says he’s also “good friends” with Stoops.

“No matter what he is do ng, he always puts back time to talk to me,” Jackson said. “Once during the summer he called me into his office and we sat down and just talked about everything for 45 minutes. It was a nice conversation. That’s why I say we have a great relationship.”

Jackson also said UK’s six-game losing streak to end the season was not a deal-breaker for him with Kentucky.

“I kew that was a possibility. I wanted to see improvement this year, and did,” Jackson said. “Their offensive line got better. I think (center) Jon Toth will play in the NFL. I knew how young the offensive line was. They played so many young guys all year and that’s hard to do in the SEC.

“I didn’t expect a bowl game this year. I would have liked one, but the coaches were honest with me. They didn’t say they would be No. 1 in the (SEC) East this year. They were honest and said they were working hard to get better. The last game (a 44-40 loss to Louisville) showed how they can play.”

Jackson said he is frequently asked if he’s going to Alabama, Ohio State, Tennessee or Kentucky, especially by friends and students.

“I have kids asking to come to my (commitment) party,” he laughed and said.

He knows the Kentucky-North Carolina basketball game is the same day as his commitment, but he plans to make his announcement later in the day and also thought it was the right time since it is the weekend following his birthday.

“The timing is just right and I just want to go ahead and get my decision made,” Jackson said.
    Comments 1 Comment
      Terry Blue -
      Unable to access story
  • KSR Twitter Feed