Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Boom Williams - UK making progress

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Boom Williams ended his first season at Kentucky with “one of the craziest games” he has ever been a part of when UK lost 44-40 at Louisville.

The freshman running back ran for 488 yards and had a team-best 1,161 all-purpose yards in his first season and stamped himself as a potential star for the Wildcats in the years ahead.

"I was proud of Boom, you know, making some plays,” UK coach Mark Stoops said after the game. “We've got to continue to work with Boom and continue to develop Boom. He showed some toughness today - had some hard fought yards that we needed to see all year to bring some toughness about us. He's certainly got some athletic ability."

Williams had a bullish, 14-yard scoring run late in the game to give UK a 40-37 lead where he carried defenders into the end zone.

“It was real fun getting to play against cross state rivalries, going out there with my teammates and going to battle with those guys,” Williams said. "It's just determination (on the scoring run). I just wanted to get the ball in the end zone and put us up and give us a chance to win the game, so I saw those guys coming and I put my head down and just kept driving my feet in, and being determined, trying to get my team in the best position to get a win."

He knew how special the game would be when a pregame skirmish broke out.

“Just emotions running high. It's just two good teams to play each other and come out and play, so we got a little amped up there before the game and we were just ready to come out and play and I'm pretty sure the same thing for those guys,” Williams said. “We understood the circumstance and situation that we were in, so we just wanted to come out and make sure that we were ready to go."

Neal Brown was UK’s offensive coordinator before leaving this week to become head coach at Troy University. He said after the Louisville game that Williams had one “some things get to him” in UK’s loss at Tennessee.

“He had one negative play on the first kickoff,” Brown said.

Brown said Williams is “maturity” and will only get better.

“He's super talented — you've all seen the talent. He's been inconsistent at times, but I could see it this week. In our bye week and then in our practice this week in anticipation of this game, he really matured,” Brown said. “And he was taking care of all things off the field and his preparation was so much further ahead than the other times it's been. I mean, the future's bright with him."

Williams feels the same about UK’s offense and program.

“We're definitely making progress, and offseason starts tomorrow for us,” Williams said Saturday. “We're going to get to work, and like I said, we're just going to improve this offseason and get better and go into next season with a winning mentality and approach every game right. We have guys who didn't play this year who will be on the field next year, so we're looking forward to that and it's going to be a real good offseason."

"Not making a bowl game, but I still think this was a good season for us, improving three wins from last year. I do think that it was a good season for us and we can only get better from this point forward."
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post