Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Maker: Time is speeding up for recruiting

By: LARRY VAUGHT

LEXINGTON — Thon Maker is considered not only the nation’s best high school junior, but also the best high school player in any class by some recruiting analysts and college coaches.

The 7-1 center put on a show worthy of his ranking here Friday night in Orangeville Prep’s 72-58 victory over Prime Prep in the Joe B. and Denny Crum Bluegrass Showcase at Dunbar High School.

Maker had 24 points, 14 rebounds and six blocked shots.

“Just sort of a normal game for him,” said Orangeville Prep coach Larry Blunt.

Maker made a 3-pointer and went 13-for-18 at the foul line. He had an athletic, acrobatic finish to an alley-oop pass that might have been the best play of the showcase Friday. He ran the court, played physical and had just one turnover against an athletic team that forced the pace and pressure.

“I think I played tougher inside,” said Maker, who switched to Orangeville Prep in Canada this year because of its extensive strength and conditioning program that has already added about 15 pounds for him. “They were small inside and I had to try to pound them.

“I have definitely added weight and become more physical. It benefits me and them (his name) because we want to make a name for ourselves.”

His team include UNLV signee Jalen Poyser (16 points) and five-star junior guard Jamal Murray (12 points). They will all be playing Dec. 4 and Dec. 6 at the Marshall County Hoop Fest.

Maker has scholarship offers from Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, Louisville, Arizona and numerous other programs. Both coach John Calipari of Kentucky and Rick Pitino of Louisville were at the showcase along with staff members but did not watch Maker’s games because of NCAA uncertainty regarding Prime Prep.

Maker could easily re-classify to the 2015 class, a move both coach Larry Blunt and Maker’s guardian Edward Smith said after the game was possible.

There's also the question of "when" he'll move on to the next level.

“Time is speeding up for recruiting,” Maker said. “I am close to a decision on re-classifying or not. I am getting (academic) courses out of the way and working on my body. At the college level, everybody is physical.”

Smith indicated that a decision on Maker’s status should come by mid-February.

Kentucky is a school that has pursued Maker heavily. He said he has seen them “play one or two” games this season.

“I saw the first half of the Kansas game (a 72-40 UK win) and then changed the channel,” Maker laughed and said. “They are committed to doing what it takes to win.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post