Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Expectations will soar after demolition in Indianapolis

By LARRY VAUGHT

INDIANAPOLIS — For months Kentucky coach John Calipari has tried to downplay the hype about his team that has nine McDonald’s All-Americans and a preseason No. 1 ranking.

He warned that the “clutter” of expectations and player comparisons could cause problems for his team, especially after he decided to use a two-platoon system to give as many players as possible a chance to play and contribute.

However, after demolishing No. 5 Kansas 72-40 here Tuesday night in the Champions Classic, the expectations that UK will win the national championship for the second time in four years are going to soar no matter how much Calipari wants to point out what his team still lacks.

“Got a long way to go offensively, figuring out how we get more motion. Today we just tried to jam it in. We’re not going to be able to do that every game,” said Calipari after his team got 30 points in the paint and 19 second-chance paints. “We’re going to have teams play a zone. They’re going to come out and zone us and sag. They’re not going to stretch out like Kansas did.

“They’re going to play pack-line defense and they’re going to trap the post and force us to shoot jumpers and that’s why it’s important that Devin (Booker) make shots. We got so much to figure out about this team it’s not funny. The only good news is when we come into town the other guy’s gotta figure out two teams, like, alright, how are we preparing for this?”

Kansas coach Bill Self found that out first-hand when his team took its style of driving and passing and turned it into driving and shooting — or more accurately, driving and having UK block shots. The Cats blocked eight in the first half and nine overall.

That’s why Self said Calipari had no choice but to say his team was not as good as everyone else thought.

“You guys cover Kentucky. How much do you believe that he says? I am joking,” Self smiled and said. “I would say he has to say that. For this early in the season, though, they are pretty good.”

Self said the challenge — and he noted he meant this as a compliment to UK — is that other teams will improve during the season. He hopes his team will be one.

“I think they are so much ahead of other teams, but teams have a tendency to get better,” Self said. “There will be teams out there that can challenge them. Whether they get beat, I don’t know. But there will be other teams that can challenge them.”

He noted that Buffalo showed how in Sunday’s game when it had a five-point halftime lead in Rupp Arena against UK.

“Make shots when you are open. Be patient,” Self said. “Obviously, you would have to be a tough team but also a team skilled enough that can drive and force help and play from the perimeter rather than the interior. That’s a formula (to beat a lot of teams), but certainly one you have got to use for Kentucky.

“Physically there were some things ... maybe if a team could run four corners, spread the floor, drive and pass at the end of the (35-second shot) clock. There are teams like that. Rhode Island went to the Elite Eight playing that way. But got to make shots against their length.”

Self said a team that “has back to the basket guys and not a stretch four (power forward)” will have trouble with UK.

“It’s very difficult to score over their length. They have so many guys that are so long. They are very good,” Self said.

He said playing as a team would be a must to beat UK.

“We are individually not good enough to play guys like that,” Self said. “Tonight we could have been on top of our game and it may not have made much difference.

“Somebody is going to have to play a great game to beat them. No question about that. It could happen away from home, but somebody has got to be special to beat them.”
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post