Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Middlesboro High School to honor Greg Page

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Mel Page recently shared an email from Dana Greene about a meeting with Middlesboro High School principal Bobby Bennett about a project to frame Greg Page's football jersey.

Greg Page died from an injury suffered while playing football at Kentucky after a successful prep career at Middlesboro. He was one of four African-Americans at UK who helped integrate the Southeastern Conference and will have the story told in both an upcoming film — "Black in Blue" — and a CBS documentary.

Here is what Greene shared with Mel Page, Greg's brother:

"I conveyed to him certain of the concerns you and I discussed. Specifically, I described your desire that anything connected with Greg should represent an 'inclusive' theme. Following a suggestion regarding shared funding, he indicated his desire that MHS participate in the funding with Friends of Lincoln School and that, perhaps, the MHS Sports Boosters Club might also contribute funds.

"After our meeting, Bobby spoke with Steve Moore, who is framing the jersey and related exhibits. Bobby stated that Steve told him that the Friends of Lincoln School had suggested a small 'card' mounted around the border indicating the source(s) of funding for the frame.

"Bobby also, stated that, if this card was part of the finished product, a disclosure similar to 'Funds for this frame were provided by Friends of Lincoln School and Middlesboro High School.'"

Personally, sounds like a great idea and probably long overdue just like the proposed statue of Page, Nate Northington, Wilbur Hackett and Houston Hogg is at UK for their contributions and sacrifices at UK to integrate the SEC — a conference that certainly resisted integration.

Nate Northington hopes to be in Middlesboro for the ceremony honoring Page.

"This is wonderful. I’m looking forward to participating any way I can," Northington said.
    Comments 2 Comments
      MickintheHam -
      I was a freshman at UK when Greg was injured. It was a very tough time for everyone on Campus. I am glad to see that Greg's courage is being remembered.
      jazyd -
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      I was a freshman at UK when Greg was injured. It was a very tough time for everyone on Campus. I am glad to see that Greg's courage is being remembered.
      Mick, I went back and did a google search on Nat and Greg both, really good articles out there and brought back some memories.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post