Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Dupree now projected as first round pick

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Before the season started, Kentucky coach Mark Stoops predicted that defensive end Bud Dupree would be a first-round NFL draft pick.

“He’s got everything you’re looking for. He’s got the size; he’s explosive. He’s very versatile. Like I say over and over, he could play in a 4-3 defense; he could play defensive end in a 3-4," said Stoops Thursday.

"He’s really what they’re looking for in a 3-4. He’s athletic enough to play Sam, he could play the Jack. I think he’s versatile enough to play at any linebacker position. And he picks things up. So physically he has what you want and obviously, he has the instincts, awareness and work ethic as well.”

ESPN NFL draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. now has Dupree on his first-round draft list for the first time this season going into UK's game at Missouri Saturday. He is the 21st prospect on ESPN's NFL Draft "Big Board" put together by Kiper.

"A two-way player in high school, Dupree was a good tight end and pass-rusher, and he has settled in at defensive end for the Wildcats," Kiper wrote. "At 6-foot-4 and 260-plus pounds with exceptional athleticism, he has improved a little each year. While he's never put up eye-popping stats, when I talk to SEC coaches, I hear about a player they don't look forward to blocking, and you can see it play out, with extra blocking help often in Dupree's path to the quarterback."

Kentucky defensive coordinator D.J. Eliot also earlier this season called Dupree a "great team player" in addition to being a special talent. Stoops said that quality will help Dupree impress NFL personnel as well.

"They’re all looking for great team players and guys who can pick things up well and move him around and I think I’ve commented on that a few times that we do so much with him that we’re actually, you take for granted how much and how quickly he picks things up. So he’s going to be a great pro," Stoops said.

Being a vocal leader has not come "natural" to Dupree, who came to UK as a tight end. But he's improved there, too.

"A guy like Avery (Williamson) was a great example for him and to see. He didn’t have to last year because Avery was such a strong, vocal leader. And then once Avery left, Bud knew he had to step up into that role and he’s really done a nice job," Stoops said. "It didn’t come as natural to him. So we talked to him about leadership and the work with Jason (Cummins of the Army ROTC) and everything we’re doing, he’s picked up on it pretty easy and it’s not forced right now, let’s put it that way. It comes natural to him, now after some time.”
    Comments 4 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      That is great news for him and will help keep UK on the NFL draft map. Have you heard anything about his running mate on the other end of the line?
      kingcat -
      Atta boy Big Bud!!
      UKFlounder -
      Hey, NFL, this Bud's for you!
      Darrell KSR -
      Lone bright star today.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post