Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Wildcats maximize every talent, size advantage 116-68 over Pikeville

By: LARRY VAUGHT

LEXINGTON — This was a game where Kentucky not only had a talent edge, but also a huge size advantage.

The Wildcats started a lineup bigger than most NBA teams and used that to help wear out Pikeville 116-68 in Sunday’s exhibition win.

Kentucky had 29 assists on 49 field goals (including nine by Andrew Harrison), put six players in double figures, shot 65 percent from the field in the game and dominated the boards 49-25.

“Twenty-nine assists — and in a game where guys could have tried to get their own, it's the only way this will work if they really want to share for each other,” said a giddy UK coach John Calipari after the game. “Twenty-five what we would call one ‘mores’. I have a shot, but he has a better shot, we need to let that one go. You know, we did not settle for 3's in the first half, we just did what we had to do.

“I'll tell you what, I’ve got to give it to them. They came out of the gate making shots and playing and they weren't afraid. We were just too big. What I'm happy with is that because we were too big, we threw the ball where we should have, in the post.”

There was a lot to like in the this game, including some things that might not show on the stat sheet.

— Midway of the first half freshman point guard Tyler Ulis fed the ball inside to Dakari Johnson. As a Pikeville player started over from behind to double team Johnson, Ulis yelled for him to watch out. That’s the type of communication that did not happen last year.

Calipari noted that a year ago, he was coaching effort, passion and intensity. But not with this team — and he’s loving it.

“So, while I enjoy it a lot more, I'll do the other if I have to. But that's what happens when you have veterans back that get it and understand and have young kids that are hungry and are listening and watching. They're learning from each other,” Calipari said.

— Freshman Karl-Anthony Towns blocked a Pikeville shot, ran the floor, got a pass going full speed from Andrew Harrison and finished at the rim. It’s the kind of athleticism few big men have — and he’s not the only one UK has that can do that.

“Let’s just say I have worked hard to make that a routine play,” Towns, who had 22 points, five rebounds and three blocks, said.

“He was running the floor, he was active, he was getting to where he was open. He made his free throw. I mean, Karl can play,” Calipari said. “Now he broke down definitely a couple times, and I told him and Devin (Booker), if you guys want to score the ball, you will defend or you'll be out. You're not taking all the ball shots, and then go back and let a guy run by you and dunk on you. It's not happening here. But they're young.”

— The pace of play for UK was so much faster than last year. Scout.com recruiting analyst Evan Daniels, who watched most of these UK players in high school, posted on Twitter: “This is fastest I can remember a Calipari team playing. Flying end-to-end.”

That’s be design and don’t look for transition offense or defense to be the problem it was last year for UK.

“Play fast, don't be in a hurry, though we're playing fast,” Calipari said. “If we can score quick, we will. If not, let's create a good shot. If we get a shot and miss it, let's send three guys to the glass and rebound. If we don't rebound it, they are not getting a transition basket.

“You run back. If you don't run back, I'm subbing you out. If your team's not running back I'll sub all five. We're not giving up 3-point shots. Make them drive into our teeth of our defense. I mean, if you watch, you're saying, well, that's how you should play, you're not real smart, that's how you should play. You're right. I mean, just normal watching a team that's what you would see.”

— Early in the second half 6-10 freshman Trey Lyles was on the fast break when he beat a defender with a behind-the-back dribble and then fed Dakari Johnson for a score. Being 6-10 and going behind-the-back like that is just not the norm. Yet Calipari says Lyles, who missed most of the summer workouts with an injury, is just rounding into shape.

“Trey is still behind. Trey wasn't doing it for the summer, he didn't do the Bahamas. He is just starting. So, he's still a little bit behind and you see he's still pretty good,” Calipari said after his 11-point, eight-rebound outing.

“But he stepped in the hole a few times because he ran up-and-down, got tired and went to jump and just stepped in a hole. He didn't jump very high. So, then he dunked that last one. I left him in because I just wanted him to make some plays and shots.”

— Alex Poythress got a lob from Aaron Harrison that he turned into a dunk and then he apologized to Andrew Harrison for missing a shot and costing Andrew Harrison an assist on previous possession. That’s what team chemistry is all about.

Calipari put Poythress on a platoon with more older players to take the leadership burden off him he had in the Blue-White Game.

“I didn't think Alex played as well as I thought he should have played in the Blue/White. And as much as I didn't want to put two young kids on one group, I thought it was better for Alex,” Calipari said.

— Freshman Devin Booker looking much more comfortable and Booker-like than he did during UK’s exhibition trip to the Bahamas. Made shots, ran the floor, active at all times. He had 16 points on 6-for-9 shooting and three assists in just 16 minutes.

“I am just getting adjusted to the college game. Today was a good test for me and I stepped up to it. It was a good time out there and the goal for coach was for us to have fun and that is what we did,” Booker said.

However, Calipari did find one weakness in UK's play.

"Probably should have one more platoon. I would probably feel better with three platoons, rather than two," he joked.

It was that kind of feel-good night for the Cats and their coach.
    Comments 3 Comments
      Jeeepcat -
      Thanks LV!
      Padukacat -
      Man Larry that's great work a few surprise nuggets in there!
      kingcat -
      Grade A choice mental meat a man can sink his teeth into! Thank you sir.
  • KSR Twitter Feed