Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• "No excuses" for Cats in loss to Bulldogs

By LARRY VAUGHT

LEXINGTON — Mark Stoops made no excuses after No. 1 Mississippi State beat Kentucky 45-31.

He didn’t mention the four fumbles Mississippi State had — and recovered them all. He didn’t complain about the onside kick try that was returned for a touchdown by the Bulldogs. He understood why the Bulldogs were able to break a late 77-yard scoring run against a “desperate” UK defensive call.

“We got beat by a better football team. Give Mississippi State credit. They are a good, strong, tough football team,” said Stoops. “I appreciate our team’s effort. We did not play well enough to beat the No. 1 team in the country.

“Our guys went about their business. Their minds were right, their hearts were right. They tried the best they could. They were a better football team. As always in a loss, we all can do better. We will do better. We'll get back to work. But give Mississippi State credit, they made the plays when they had to. They were a very physical football team, as you saw. Bottom line, they were a good team and they beat us.”

The Bulldogs rushed for 326 yards one week after LSU gashed UK for 303 yards. Many of the yards came after contact when State runners bounced off would-be UK tacklers.

“Obviously, we have to do things better, be more physical, make tackles,” Stoops said. “But you have to give them credit for what they did. They made us miss. We had guys bouncing off them a couple different times. That's what I said earlier in the week. That's what you look like when you're a big, strong, physical football team. They broke tackles and made plays when they had to.”

Kentucky amassed 504 yards — by comparison, UK had 450 yards in the triple overtime loss at Florida earlier this year.

“I said it all week, we really need to play good in all three phases. It's hard. They put so much stress on you, their offense. That's why they're the No. 1 offense in our league. They put a lot of stress on you. Obviously we didn't hold up very good. We needed to play better all the way across the board,” Stoops said.

Kentucky is now 5-3 and still needing one win to be bowl eligible. The Cats play three of their final four games away, including the next one at Missouri. Stoops said he had no concerns going forward.

“I mean, our team is strong. They're strong in the mind. They're strong in the heart. We're not perfect. We're a work in progress. I have no problem with their attitude or what they're doing. These are pretty good football teams we're playing,” the UK coach said.

“It's good to see our team being resilient, fighting. I like their attitude, I like the way we're working, trying the best we can. We're fighting.”
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post