Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Tyler Ulis Addresses His Uniqueness

By: LONNY DEMAREE

At UK's level of basketball there's not many basketball players the size 5-foot-9 (liberally sized) of Tyler Ulis playing at a high level on the court in Dl basketball. Given the succession of so many quality point guards at UK how does plan to measure up? “I try not to break into that group,” Ulis said. “I'm just trying to do what's best for our team. They were all great players then but they were completely different players than myself. I'm a small guard and they were all big guards.”

Being the size he is he was asked how many times he's been told he's to small? “A couple million times,” he quickly responded with a laugh. When asked who he compared imself to on the next level, he said – “I like to watch Tony Parker, Chris Paul, Steve Nash, and those guys and how they get their teammates involved in the game. They are all pass-first point guards.

Was the Bahama trip a big benefit to you, we asked Ulis? “Yes it benefited me with the fans. They got a chance to see play and now they don't think I'm to little.” He said that being told that he said that is a constant motivating fact in his development as a basketball player.

Calipari talked to former NBA great Isaiah Thomas about how to use a small guard. Did he share that with you. He said - “Yeah he did. He said that I have to get stronger, start doing push-ups at night, and be able to pressure the ball on the outside coming down the floor.” He was asked was he stronger now than when he first got here? He yeah, he is much stronger. He couldn't say how much stronger be he knew because he can tell it on the court. “I feel it on the floor against playing against Andrew (Harrison),” Ulis said. “He's not pushing me around as much as he was when I first got here.”

Ulis said when he gets into the lane he's trying to create for the others players and working on the floater (teardrop). He said he not trying to shoot many layups. Dakari Johnson was asked what Ulis brings to the team that is surprising? He said - “He brings that toughness. He's small but on the court you wouldn't even notice it playing with him. He picks up defensively and is just so energetic. Every time he has the ball you have to be ready because he is a pass first guard.”

Ulis is going to be fun to watch but as Johnson said you don't have to wait just get open.
    Comments 4 Comments
      UKFlounder -
      Good stuff.
      dan_bgblue -
      Love the quotes. Thanks Lonny.
      kingcat -
      Good write up! Thanks.
      Krank -
      Very enjoyable read.

Lonny, I love reading both you and Larry because you can "feel" the personal conversation that you have with the players and coaches you talk to.

Thanks!
  • KSR Twitter Feed