Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Stoops * “We're Just Getting Started Bro”

By: LONNY DEMAREE

Yes there is a game Saturday the 11th against University of Louisiana Monroe that if minds are not focused could be a trap game. But for the moment last Saturdays South Carolina game has to be reflected upon.

Mark Stoops said they have to give the fans back what they are asking for and that is to build the kind of program they deserve. And in post game reflections Stoops said - “We're just getting started Bro.” This was the kind of game that many UK teams in the past have lost. The Wildcat formation was set up perfectly for the trick play when Ryan Timmons was as wide open down field as any play in college football this year.

In previously decades we have seen many 'false-starts' no pun intended in the UK football. Meaning what looks like something that will be sustained. Stoops would not comment on what they need to do to sustain the early success in his program except to say they take it one day at a time. “We start over every week,” the coach said. This game was reminiscent of the 2007 Arkansas game with UK the winner 42-29. At Fayetteville the Wildcats staged a fourth comeback that heavily underdog team UK made happened. Arkansas had in its backfield Darren McFadden, Felix Jones, and Peyton Hillis all of whom played in the NFL. UK scored the last twenty-one unanswered points to take SC and the “old ball coach” (Steve Spurrier) down.

In every decade since the sixties with the exceptions of the late 2000's and 2011 the UK football program had momentum that resembled something that could be sustained. However the problems that arose was an inefficient recruiting staff that went about it all wrong and that's a subject for another time. What does it say about the state of college football when five of the top eight teams lose on the same Saturday. And this is the first time since 1962 that Kentucky, Ole Miss, and Mississippi State lost on the same day.

Why is the league (SEC) so discombobulated at this point? Stoops - “I just think it's the great parity that we are starting to get in this league. It's a very tough conference. There's not a whole heck of a lot of teams going backward. Everybody's trying to move forward like we are and everything we can to move our program forward.”

The atmosphere in Saturdays contest was surreal in the stadium. Those that were setting in the stand said that one time the stadium was rocking. Stoops said - “I felt the electricity, the team felt the electricity, and our recruits felt the electricity.”
    Comments 4 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      I think UK will handle the not so mighty Warhawks fine. No running game, and we may get seven picks against them.
      suncat05 -
      Just listening to Stoops talk in several different interviews, I come away with the impression that he has felt like we may be a little bit better than he has wanted to let on. At least that's my take on it so far. He certainly has been much more upbeat and optimistic than he was at any point last season.
      UKHistory -
      The talent level, attitude and effort is much better this year than at any time I have seen since 2007. I applaud this coaching staff for making a bigger impact on the culture surrounding Kentucky Football since Jerry Claiborne.

We have an SEC calibre staff that is recruiting like an SEC team. The truth is that this team should be 5-0 right now. 4-1 is fantastic and there are some tough games ahead.

But Kentucky Football is different under Mark Stoops it just is. That is not to say UK has arrived; we have not. But for the first time in years Kentucky is making legitimate strides to compete in the SEC. Not just build towards one winning season but striving to be a SEC East contender.
      KentuckyWildcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by UKHistory View Post
      The talent level, attitude and effort is much better this year than at any time I have seen since 2007.
      The effort makes them fun to watch. Probably not a secret here that I'm not a football person, but they are fun to watch right now. I see us making plays that I don't think we would have even tried in the past in terms of effort. I love the dancing around, energy, and when Kemp signals a first down
  • KSR Twitter Feed