Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Conversation with UK commit Jordan Griffin

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Even after he made his verbal commitment to Kentucky, Georgia junior Jordan Griffin kept asking himself what he should be about why he knew UK was right for him.

“I can’t really say in words. I just know it is right,” said Griffin. “Kentucky was my first offer. I think it is the best opportunity for me and I have the best relationship with all the coaches at Kentucky. Plus, that atmosphere (for the South Carolina game) is so crazy.”

The junior defensive back also has offers from Clemson, Mississippi, North Carolina State, Cincinnati and others. He is ranked as the No. 77 prospect nationally by ESPN.com in the 2016 recruiting class and No. 7 cornerback overall. He is rated as the No. 25 cornerback nationally by 247Sports.com.

The 6-0, 170-pound Griffin will play in the prestigious Rising Senior All-Star Game in December in Atlanta.

He knows other schools won’t back off recruiting him just because he has committed to UK.

“At this moment, I am a Wildcat,” Griffin said. “If another offer comes, it happens. As of now, I am a Wildcat.”

His mother, father, brother and one high school coach were with him at Kentucky last weekend.

“They all absolutely loved it. I have never seem mom smile like the way she did at any other school. She feels good about coach (Derrick) Ansley and coach (Mark) Stoops and all the coaches. We just all had an instant connection with the UK fans, and the tailgating was crazy. The atmosphere was really good and so different from the spring game. The second time I went was to a camp, so this was my third time and from the spring game to a night game during the season was a huge difference. It was great.”

Kentucky cornerback coach Derrick Ansley recruited Griffin’s cousin, Cameron Sutton, to play at Tennessee.

“He committed when coach Ansley was at Tennessee. Unfortunately for him, coach Ansley came to Kentucky and my cousin stayed with Tennessee. But coach Ansley gave me my first offer and even though my cousin in like my mentor, I knew Kentucky was right for me,” Griffin said.

Kentucky is also recruiting his teammate, Jonesboro quarterback Zerrick Cooper. He has not played this year following knee surgery before the season started. He was also scheduled to visit the UK-South Carolina game but Griffin said he was unable to attend.

“He is one of my best friends. He’s very proud of my commitment and offered me words of encouragement,” Griffin said. “He’s a good teammate, good friend.”

Griffin says he is “very sound” with his techniques and goes over “technique I need each and every down” because it changes.

“I am very smart, quick instincts, great reaction time,” Griffin said. “I go through the same motions every play so I will not let the receiver know what I am going to do.

Griffin also plays shooting guard in basketball and was a reserve on last year’s state championship team. He anticipates a starting role this year.

“I’ve started two years in football and played a lot as a freshman, but I enjoy playing basketball, too,” Griffin said.

He “absolutely” plans to come back to another UK football game this season and could well be back for a game in Rupp Arena as well.

“Just tell fans I bleed blue,” he said.
    Comments 3 Comments
      badrose -
      “Just tell fans I bleed blue,” he said.
      Sounds good to me. Thanks, Larry.
      Terry Blue -
      All these kids that commit this early are subject to change. It just means we have a better chance to sign them than if they had commited elsewhere
      Kacat -
      He is also a really polite young man. I hope he sticks but it's a LONG way until signing day 2016.
  • KSR Twitter Feed