Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Q & A With Wide Receiver Garrett Johnson

By: LONNY DEMAREE

Head coach Mark Stoops and offensive coordinator Neal Brown went into the 2014 season in hopes of changing the culture of UK football and putting together a cadre of productive wide receivers. Their reliance of such a phenomenon depended largely on mostly freshmen and true sophomores. In each of the three games a freshman has stepped up and performed well the latest of which was freshman Garrett Johnson. That performance happened in his home state Florida where he's a native of Winter Gardens, Florida. We conducted a question answer with Johnson.

Q: You were an arrival on campus in the summer to enroll in summer school. How did that benefit you.
    A: It was big for me in order to get acclimated to campus life and most of all get stronger.

Q: Out of the Florida lost was there anything positives you can take away from the game?
    A: I've looked a the film several times and I saw some things I did wrong and some things I saw that I could've done different to get more separation.

Q: On media day we ask Johnson what he missed most not being back home in Florida?
    A: Early on I missed my friends and guys I hung out with. And definitely mom's mac and cheese, bake beans, and baked chicken.

Q: Has any of that changed since you've been here?
    A: I haven't found that mac and cheese but I love hanging out with my teammates that I've created a bond with.

Q: You also talked about having three different coaching staffs in high school. The last one was excellent but at first they changed the system so much I said what are they doing?
    A: But when I committed they pushed me really hard because they knew what awaited me. I called my offensive coordinator and thanked him for what he was for me and critiquing me so much.

Q: Did you understand it then?
    A: No. You know when you are a kid and someone tells you how much it's going to benefit you in the future. You just brush if off and when you get here you realize it's going to really help me in the speed of the game.

Q: You also what ask what the fans will see from you that they surprised by and you said you will bring juice. What is juice?
    A: It's me making plays, helping my teammates make place, and basically helping the team to win.

Q: Who on the next level do you compare yourself to?
    A: Actually there are two. The first one is Tavon Austin and the other one in Sammy Watkins. I've watch several films on him (Watkins) playing. I like his maturity level and how he leads his team. I can see myself making plays like him and the precision he brings to the game.

Q: What did it feel like performing like that against Florida?
    A: Aw man, it was great. I literally got a hundred text's and my twitter was going crazy.

Q: How do you build on your performance at Florida?
    A: You just check out the film and critique myself and some time I didn't run the right route or get a key block.
    Johnson had the reputation of have sure-hands and running good routes and as he said being in high school last year and now on ESPN Sports Center. “I've dreamed of this since I first started playing football in the fourth grade,” Johnson said.
    Comments 1 Comment
      Darrell KSR -
      Thanks, Lonny, that was a fun read.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post