Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Muschamp praises Cats

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Florida Coach Will Muschamp certainly did not say anything derogatory about Kentucky at his weekly press conference that would give the Cats any extra motivation for Saturday's game.

“Neal Brown is offensive coordinator, a guy that I’m very familiar with. They do a nice job in the run and pass game. They’re a tempo team. They’re going to be on the ball. They’re going to play as fast as anybody that we play this year," the Florida coach said.

What about quarterback Patrick Towles?

"They settled on Patrick Towles, which is 6-foot-5, 240-pound quarterback that’s a dual threat guy. He can run the quarterback power and the quarterback draw as a threat to pull it down in the passing game when we lose discipline in our pass rush. We’ve got to do a real nice job of that," Muschamp said.

And what about the UK running game?

“They’re extremely talented at the running back position. Braylon Heard is a transfer from Nebraska, was hurt the first game that he had two carries for two touchdowns and about 120 yards," the Florida coach said. "Jojo Kemp from DeLand is a dynamic guy in the open field. Stanley Williams is a freshman from Georgia that’s a good player. Mikel Horton is a kid from Cincinnati that’s a good player. He’s a true freshman as well.

"Balanced in what they do. They’re right at 40 points a game, 233 yards running and 296 passing. They haven’t had a turnover this year offensively."

He also knows plenty about Ryan Timmons, UK's top receiver who had 10 catches last week.

"Ryan Timmons is a very good player that’s good there. Ryan Timmons is a young man that we offered here. Thought he’s a heck of a football player. He does a really good job in space. They get him the ball in a bunch of situations in the passing game and the running game, very skilled guy," the Florida coach said.

He wasn't about to underestimate the UK defensive, either.

"Defensively, they’ve gone really to an odd structure they did last year now, it kind of looks exclusively, moving forward. Forced seven turnovers, (Bud) Dupree and (Za'Darius) Smith were the two guys that catch your eye. Two very good pass rushers, you’ve got to account for those guys on the edges," Muschamp said.

"They run extremely well at linebacker, but the thing you see is they’re playing fast, they’re playing with a lot of confidence defensively. Mark’s done an outstanding job there. Special teams, they have a 53-yard field goal in the last ballgame so that’s a threat and their net punt’s over 40, so we need to be prepared there."

Yes, Mark Stoops is rebuilding at UK and seems to have more athletes. But don't forget Florida has won 27 straight games in this series, including 24-7 last year when the Gators won only four games.

Before that, the Gators won 38-0 in 2012 with their first SEC shutout since 2001. In 2011, Florida turned four Kentucky turnovers into 24 points and rushed for over 400 yards and won 48-10. In 2010, Trey Burton scored six touchdowns -- five rushing, one receiving -- in a 48-14 victory. And remember 2009 when the Gators led 31-0 after one quarter and won 41-7.

Just don't tell Muschamp that any of that matters this week.

"It’s a 2014 Florida team versus a 2014 Kentucky team. That’s all it is to me," Muschamp said.

The good news for a Kentucky team off to a rare 2-0 start is that the Cats are too young to be overwhelmed.

"This year we haven’t shown our full potential," said freshman running back Mikel Horton. "We still have mistakes to correct. This Florida game will test our limits and we will be ready to play as a team physically, mentally and emotionally and play one of our best games."
    Comments 3 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      His scouting isn't suffering. Those are good observations for the most part.
      kingcat -
      I dig the Cat's attitude. I believe we are a threat to beat UF at home.

No silly turnovers, and exceptional play from the defense and we will win. We have the type qb which will give the gators fits with his ability to see the field and run the football.

If the OLine can manage to hold their own I am not afraid of UF...and I haven't felt that way in many years
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      His scouting isn't suffering. Those are good observations for the most part.
      Either he's well briefed or he's maybe watching too much game film, or at least reading their individual bios too closely. That's better background info than you get from the TV crew. I imagine he's well briefed but I'd have to see him answer the questions to really know.
  • KSR Twitter Feed